Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 2nd, 2013 16:00

XPS One 24 - Loaded Windows 7 - Problems with video - Have Intel Chipset G35/G45

I installed Windows 7, 32 bit on my XPS One 24, service tag<ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

, (originally had Vista).  After I loaded Windows 7, my computer screen will suddenly go blank, and I get a message that the graphics driver failed, but has recovered.  When I install the newest drivers for the Intel G35/G45 chipset, the screen goes black.  I have to roll back the driver installation to get video again.  Is there a fix for this problem?  I work from home, and am in the middle of a phone call with a customer when I lose video.  Sometimes, the system will shut down and restart, which really causes problems.  Any solutions?

March 2nd, 2013 20:00

Hi CharlyBarks,

The drivers available on the support website are compatible with Windows Vista. 
Please uninstall the video driver from 'Programs and Features' and reboot the computer. 

Download the driver from this link http://dell.to/15ZTHQ1 and navigate to this location C:\dell\Drivers\R197054. Right-click the 'Setup' file and select 'Properties'. Click the 'Compatibility' tab. Ensure that the settings shown in the image are selected; 'Run the program in compatibility mode for Windows Vista' and 'Run this program as an administrator' options are selected. Install the driver and reboot the computer.

If the issue persists, you can install this driver from Intel's website: http://intel.ly/VWhtYX

Please try these steps and share the status.

March 3rd, 2013 09:00

Thank you!  Followed steps as written and have clear, crisp video, not the black screen.  Hopefully, the graphic driver failures will no longer occur.  Time will tell.  Thank you again!!

March 3rd, 2013 16:00

Thanks for the response.
Although the system is not tested to work with Windows 7; I am glad that installing the legacy drivers in compatibility mode worked for you.
For your reference, here is the System's Owner's Manual.

1 Message

September 1st, 2013 20:00

Dear MANPREET C & Dell;

I have encountered the same issue; black screens and issues arising from installing Windows 7 on a XPS One 2420 over a Vista designed computer.

I read your answer to this man's question and I am just wondering how you would still have video if the first step of this process is to uninstall the Intel media accelerator driver?  I would need a screen to be able to download and install the new driver and implement your fix to the issue.

Thanks,

Heith

1 Message

October 22nd, 2013 15:00

Dell Support,

I am having the same problem installing on DELL XPS ONE 24 using Windows 7 64-bit OS. When I go do the Dell support page there are no drivers listed, yet I still see hardware alerts in the Device Manager.  I followed your instructions above, but that appears to be only for Windows 7 32-bit.  I have the Intel G45 Chipset graphics driver, when I go to the Intel Device Driver Utility it tries to update it with the most recent version.  Yet when I restart the computer is in black screen and needs to be in Safe Mode to be viewable.  This is extremely frustrating!  PLEASE HELP.

1 Message

August 4th, 2016 09:00

Uninstalling a graphics driver will cause the driver to automatically revert to the Microsoft basic display drivers so you will have a screen to work with. I have done this many times on multiple machines with the same results.

No Events found!