Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

December 3rd, 2009 21:00

XPS running Dell Diagnostics Utility for 28 hours and counting!

Received Dell alert to run Diagnostics Utility so I picked extended test and it has been running since yesterday.  Test status says testing 976773167 blocks and only 76% done.  System tests run=Read, Seek and Verify.  What would cause this and besides just aborting test by using ESC key, how do I figure out what's wrong?

3 Posts

December 4th, 2009 02:00

This is totally normal you dont often get anybody doing extended tests!

This is just doing a scan of the hard drives last tim i did this was on a 40gig and took over 18 hours.

Just Escape and skip the Hard Drive Tests if your happy with them

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 4th, 2009 03:00

Unless the diagnostics are encountering errors, the extended test does not take that long - if you're seeing it take that long, replace the drive.

5 Posts

December 4th, 2009 05:00

Is it normal for there to be so many blocks on a system that has more than 97% of its capacity free?  What could be the problem?  There are two,I think, 5GB boards in there!  How would I know which to replace?  Have run LiveCare on it and tried to clean disk but it keeps freezing up.  There is no way to salvage it?  P.S.  We are now on hour 37!

5 Posts

December 4th, 2009 10:00

For more info,  the problem child is the "SATA Disk S?N=9QG3RX7/J7, whatever those are.  Startesd to run a different scan and got to these same spots and then is running, albeit very slowly scanning those disks.  Anyone know what these are and a problem witrh these requires an entirely new motherboard?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 4th, 2009 14:00

Greenie55

The hard drive seems to have failed and needs to be replaced, if there's two HD's installed, you can find the failed drive by checking the serial number [9QG3RX7/J7?] that's on the HD's label.

Bev.

No Events found!