Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2014 07:00

XPS400 not powering up -switch issue?

My XPS400 is not powering up when I press the Front panel button.  Everything was functioning properly until it was turned off using the front panel switch.  I know this is not the right way, but my wife was having a network issue and did this. She said that she had to press the front switch rather hard to get it to shutdown. nNow, there is no response to the switch, not even an amber light. The flea light is the only light on the processor board. Any ideas on how to test / replace the front panel switch?  Im suspecting that rather than the PSU. Thanks

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 9th, 2014 17:00

Try this for starters:

1. Power off and unplug
  2. Disconnect all peripherals
  3. Press/hold power button for ~!5 sec
  4. See if boots now with only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected

3 Posts

March 9th, 2014 18:00

Yes. I went through this cycle without change. I measured the voltage at the power up pin that connects the PSU to motherboard. It seemed to be properly pulled up to 5v and also sensed the button push. i did note that some of the other power pins were not at the proper levels. I am now suspecting the PSU. I bought a replacement but the cables were not long enough to work. Any other thoughts or recommended PSUs?  Thanks

3 Posts

March 9th, 2014 20:00

One more piece of information.  I removed the PSU and bench tested it. Everything seemed to be fine, including all voltages. I am now wondering if it is the motherboard. Any insight / recommendations would be appreciated. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 10th, 2014 07:00

If the switch is broken the front panel board can be replaced.  But it could also be that the plastic plunger on the front cover was snapped off. Bezel Faceplate Panel Cover P8105

Paperclip method should turn it on if thats the only issue.

5v standby voltage available is Zero indication of a good power supply.

Most PSU vendors make this happen with a transformer and separate linear power supply that is physically separate from the switching power supply.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 10th, 2014 11:00

And if it's not the front panel switch, check out PSUs here and here, for example.

No Events found!