Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 17th, 2010 22:00

dell dimension 4600 - constant, rapid beeping on startup

i have a dell dimension 4600. i was in windows xp pro, everything was fine, then it began behaving as if the enter key were being held down. i rebooted(had to hold down the power button and do a "hard shutdown"), and very shortly after restart, i heard a constant, rapid beeping sound. checked the back of the tower, A & D lights were yellow.

below is the diagnosis for yellow A & D lights from support.dell.com:

A possible floppy or hard drive failure has occurred.

Check all power and data cable connections, and then restart the computer.

tried unplugging power from disk drives 1 by 1, only change occurred when all drives were unplugged except 3.5 floppy drive, whereupon there were two short beeps - only the D light was on - as expected, "pri/sec master/slave not found" error messages on screen: "F1 to continue, F2 to enter startup" - tried F1, nothing; tried F2, entered startup, but continued behaving as if enter key were being held down, but repetitions occurred at a slower rate - tried different combinations of hard drives plugged in 1 by 1, no go - tried resetting CMOS jumper on motherboard, no go - tried removing battery for 5 minutes, no go - 3 out of 4 RAM slots filled, tried pulling them out 1 by 1, only change occurred when all 3 were out: slower, lower beeps (1-3-2) - obviously corresponded to error code on support.dell.com: 1-3-1 through 2-4-4 - DIMMs not being properly identified or used. apparently, that problem superseded the original problem.

i don't have any other ideas at the moment - i might swap the power supply(or maybe processor, 2.4ghz) if i had a spare one. i also have a working dimension 8200 w/ 2.0 ghz processor, so i might try swapping the power supplies(or processors), but i'm hesitant to do anything drastic. i'll wait for a response here first.

thanks for your attention.

3 Posts

March 17th, 2010 23:00

problem solved :-[

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 23rd, 2010 09:00

To assist other users, what was the solution?

1 Message

March 29th, 2010 21:00

I'm having the same problem on a Dell 1569.  I'm not sure what I did besides removing a USB stick.  I have not been able to resolve the issue.  Tone is sometimes constant or beeps and then has a long pause. 

3 Posts

May 4th, 2010 23:00

DELL-Chris M wrote the following post at 03-23-2010 10:41 AM:

To assist other users, what was the solution?

-------------

turns out it WAS a keyboard with a key being held down: a wireless USB keyboard on the other side of the room with a pillow on it that i had totally forgotten about! *rofl*

so, let that be a lesson: if it looks like a dog, sounds like a dog...and smells like a dog... :P

also, it was a tough lesson to me: sometimes i can be too "smart" for my own good(like trying all those more complicated solutions first, before i unplugged the USB stuff)...too bad i didn't have a woman there to help me! ;)

good luck with all your computer probs, everybody!

peace,

-b

No Events found!