Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 1st, 2012 12:00

desktop fails to detect second monitor/hdtv

I bought a HDTV and connected it to my dell computer (inspiron 570) using the hdmi port.

Unfortunately, the computer repeatedly failed to detect the second monitor. I verified that the hdmi port on the tv works (works fine with blueray), the hdmi cord
works (works fine with blueray), and that the cord was firmly plugged into my desktop. So I think the problem lies in the desktop and not elsewhere.

the video card is the standard one that came w/ the desktop, invidia.

I'm not sure it is relevant, but I hooked up a second computer monitor to a second vga port (monitors are older and do not have hdmi ports), and my desktop also failed to detect that as a second monitor.

Grateful for any suggestions

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

If you have a monitor connected to the DVI port, try disconnecting it before you attach the TV.

As far as I know, most cards with DVI and HDMI only permit use of one or the other, not both.

72 Posts

You might also shut down the machine and start it back up with *only* the TV connected; for some reason, some machines only 'see' an attached TV output device at startup.

3 Posts

February 2nd, 2012 07:00

I just tried the suggested solution. I shut off the computer, disconnected the monitor from the DVI, connected the tv to the hdmi, and booted up. Unfortunately, tv screen said "no signal". So thanks for what sounded like a good idea, but that didn't work.

Any other suggestions or ideas - maybe I need to buy a new video card, maybe hdmi port is defective?? Again, thanks for the previous suggestions, much appreciated!

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

February 2nd, 2012 08:00

I bought a HDTV and connected it to my dell computer (inspiron 570) using the hdmi port.

Unfortunately, the computer repeatedly failed to detect the second monitor. I verified that the hdmi port on the tv works (works fine with blueray), the hdmi cord
works (works fine with blueray), and that the cord was firmly plugged into my desktop. So I think the problem lies in the desktop and not elsewhere.

the video card is the standard one that came w/ the desktop, invidia.

I'm not sure it is relevant, but I hooked up a second computer monitor to a second vga port (monitors are older and do not have hdmi ports), and my desktop also failed to detect that as a second monitor.

Grateful for any suggestions

Have you got the latest video driver for your system. Your better off putting in a graphics card like a ATI HD 5670, and running your TV, and monitor off that.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 2nd, 2012 14:00

I had HDMI working with a circa-2006 Viewsonic TV and various home theater PCs. I didn't have to do anything special, either ... at bootup, I got the BIOS display screen and then Windows.

The 5670 is a good card; if you're not doing gaming, the 6570 is a little cheaper, has similar video capabilies (like UVD 3.0) and the onboard HD audio device, and uses less power. It's a good choice for a home theater PC.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 3rd, 2012 12:00

The Inspiron 570 does not have a DVI port, just vga and hdmi. You also have to perform extra steps when connecting a tv--such as choose the correct hdmi source on the tv itself--hdmi 1, hdmi 2 etc--and the connections must be made in the correct order. Then you have to select the dual monitor setup in Display Settings. Complete directions in Help if you look at Connect a TV.

3 Posts

February 3rd, 2012 12:00

I think I will get a video driver as suggested. I don't game, so maybe the 6570 would be best. Will this or any other affordable option enable me to transmit sound to the tv, or am I pretty much stuck w/ watching the tv and listening through the computer speakers?

Once again, thanks for suggestions.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 3rd, 2012 16:00

If your PC is not a slim design, I suggest using a card with dual DVI ports or a Displayport. Those cards are designed to support dual monitors.

As I was saying, most cards with one each of DVI and HDMI allow a connection on one or the other, but not both.

No Events found!