Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

December 2nd, 2008 11:00

dimension e310 with no audio?????

please help.... i crashed reinstalled windows xp.... in the device manager there's questions marks under other devices.... pci device and video controller.... i installed the drivers from the dell cd.... apparently i did it wrong or something... i tried to go to the website and download what i needed and couldnt find it.  when i tried to download vga device it say's that its not going to work with my hard drive or something??? can anyone help?  thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 2nd, 2008 16:00

First, HERE is the Dell info on reinstalling.

In general, the install sequence is (1) install Windows (2) install chipset drivers (3) install device drivers (sound, video, etc).

25 Posts

December 8th, 2008 05:00

i did all of that....but now in my device manager the idt high def audiio codec is not installed right... i uninstalled, then reinstalled and it keeps saying that they had a problem with the hardware????? i have a e310... any suggestions?

thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 8th, 2008 06:00

If you are using "IDT" audio drivers that is probably at least part of the problem.  Only use Dell supplied audio drivers and in fact the IDT drivers caused major problems a couple of months ago when Microsoft "pushed" the IDT drivers to users and the only way to fix the problem was to either do a System Restore back to a point prior to installing the IDT drivers or a complete reinstall. 

With audio you must only use the Dell supplied SigmaTel drivers with their integrated (on the motherboard) audio systems due to Dell's custom implementation.

HERE is the Dell Downloads which includes the SigmaTel audio drivers.

I don't know how you are going to get around the IDT installation.  As noted a System Restore back to a point prior to first installing them MAY get rid of them so you can install the Dell SigmaTel drivers.  IDT now owns SigmaTel and is rebranding their audio products with IDT but as noted you must use the Dell branded drivers. 

25 Posts

December 8th, 2008 06:00

That did it... thank you so much for your help and have a nice holiday!!!!!!!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 8th, 2008 09:00

Thanks for the feedback and glad I could help.  Don't forget to mark my response as accepted solution.

Happy Holidays

25 Posts

December 9th, 2008 11:00

it worked yesterday and now it will not install... i have no sound again.. is there a way to uninstall the idt? let me know

thanks

No Events found!