Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

December 27th, 2009 23:00

e510 and windows 7 64 bit

I am getting ready to change over my E510 from MCE2005 to Windows 7.  Have there been any problems using 64 bit windows 7 in this setup.  I see that they list vista 32 bit drivers but nothing in 64 bit drivers.  Is everything needed inside of the windows 7 pkg.

Thanks,

John Campanale

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 28th, 2009 03:00

I have an E510.

Dell DOES NOT support 64 bit drivers.  You will have problems getting drivers for all of the hardware.  Best to stay with 32 bit OS with this model.  Dell only has Vista 32 bit drivers but the Vista drivers, in most cases, will work in Win 7 since Windows 7 is basically "Vista improved".

You will have to do a complete new install as you can't "upgrade" XP to Windows 7.  On a new install the correct and required install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Intel Chipset drivers (3) Install Device drivers including the Dell sound drivers, video, ethernet, etc.  DO NOT skip the chipset drivers - they are key to a successful install (whether Win 7 or if you wanted to manually reinstall XP). 

Windows 7 will be able to find drivers for some devices but not all.  In addition you will need the Dell SigmaTel sound drivers as non-Dell drivers will either not work or work correctly.  

No Events found!