Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 21st, 2009 16:00

e521 no longer recognizes PCIe x16 slot - or onboard video keeps taking over

I have a 3 year-old Dimension e521 w/ AMD athlon 64x2 3800+, 2GB RAM, nVidia 6150LE chipset (and onboard gpu)  The computer shipped with an ATI Radeon x1300 256MB pro gpu (PCIe x16) which worked fine until . . . . After rebooting last month, my screen remained blank. I panicked until I realized I could hear the system booting, etc, and that there was just no video.  ** I cannot see the BIOS load or anything . . .this is not OS related**

I tried the onboard video vga connection and got a picture, so assumed my x1300 had died. I uninstalled the ATI drivers and utilities and I've been running on the onboard nvidia 6150LE ever since.

Today I received a Geforce 9500gt 1GB , pcie x16 from dell and attempted to install it. I am getting the same results. The computer continues to boot, there are no warning messages or beeps, the fan on the new video card spins . . .BUT - the bios doesn't see anything in the PCIe slot and the onboard graphics are all that will work.

Before installing the new card I uninstalled the 6150LE drivers, rebooted into the bios to make sure it was looking for an 'add-in' card,  powered down the PC and disconnected the power cord.  I then installed the new video card in the PCIe x16 slot without incident. (Note I took appropriate anti-static precautions before installing the new card)

I booted the computer with the same results - the PCIe card isn't recognized and the onboard 6150LE gpu is all that will work. Once windows loads, the 6150 is the only graphics adapter it sees. (PC came with Vista - I also have a Win7 partition now -- neither Vista nor Win7 recognized the new video card)

I am totally stumped and disappointed! Is the e521 mobo known for this type of failure? Am I missing something simple? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 21st, 2009 17:00

First, the BIOS should be set to "Auto" for the Video.  This allows the PC to use the PCIe Video card if installed.

Try installing the motherboard chipset drivers (two drivers listed)  DOWNLOAD HERE and see if that allows the motherboard to "see" the PCIe video card.  If not, it would sound like there is a hardware problem on the motherboard.  And, only another Dell E521 motherboard will fit and work.

3 Posts

July 21st, 2009 20:00

Thank you for your reply. The bios is set to auto. As for the drivers, wouldn't they be for the OS? I cannot even see the bios POST screen on the new card ( or the one I thought I needed to replace) so feel the problem has nothing to do w/ any operating system. Advise if I'm mistaken.

I'm afraid you're on the right track regarding the mobo. The last card worked, then didn't after reboot. I wasn't even stressing it. It does not show up in PCI slot in the bios setup, either.

Does anyone know if Dell will let me send the new card back?

Thanks again,

Mack 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 22nd, 2009 04:00

The chipset drivers (for the motherboard) are not in the OS.  It's not an OS problem, it's either missing/corrupted chipset drivers or a hardware problem on the motherboard.  Chipset drivers define what is on or attached to the motherboard and the reason I suggest reinstalling them.  You can do that with the Integrated Audio and then reinstall the separate Video card and see what happens.

I can't say what Dell's return policy is.  I don't buy aftermarket parts from Dell, I buy mostly from www.newegg.com that does have a return policy.  You don't have to buy aftemarket parts from Dell as others work and it won't affect any warranty.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 22nd, 2009 04:00

One other thought, I don't normally suggest BIOS updates but in this case it is something else to consider.  The latest BIOS update can be downloaded HERE.

3 Posts

July 23rd, 2009 11:00

Thank you for your continued assistance. I do have the most current BIOS on my system, and thanks for suggesting this. On the chipset drivers - I read and understood what you said regarding the drivers being independent of the OS, however I"m concerened that the chipset drivers are only available when XP is listed as the OS - this option disappears once Vista32 is chosen as the OS . . .so far I haven't had to do a complete reinstall and would prefer to avoid it if possible.

As for buying aftermarket from Dell, I would agree with you except in this case the cost of the part +shipping was much less expensive from the Dell site (go figure). I've found out that Dell has a 21-day return policy, so I have bout 3 weeks to try to figure this out before returning the card.

Your ideas on this issue have been and will continue to be appreciated.

Mack

2 Posts

August 22nd, 2009 00:00

I am having the exact same problem with a similar setup computer (Dimension E521, AMD64 dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD with plenty of space, Radeon X1300 with 256 MB and Dell standard 20" monitor, Vista Home Premium SP2 fully updated) and I am in the process of going through the same diagnostic checks... checking cables, reboot (several times), safe mode,  updating drivers, checked and updated BIOS... alas nothing has worked.

The most curious thing, as you have found, is that the system will not detect the Radeon X1300 from a 'cold' boot but after three or four reboots using the onboard graphics card (nVidia 6150LE with 64 MB) and VGA cable, once the system had 'warmed up' it will detect the Radeon on the DVI cable - it will continue to work on reboots and shutdown/restart until the case 'cools down', for example, the next day when im back to the same old problem.

If anyone knows what is causing this - and how I can fix it - your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Damon

1 Message

September 22nd, 2011 07:00

As far as my knowledge goes i would suggest that you have to reheat the integrated Nvidia chipset (it must control the pci-express socket and the secondary video card and ton of other shits). That would probably solve the problem. Try it, solve it and buy me a bear :)

September 4th, 2012 19:00

I also have a GeForce 9500 GT video card.  My Dell Dimension e521 will not read the card in the Bios or device manager.

The PCle card isn't recognized the on board 6150LE is the only board it will read.  I have tryed about everything, nothing so far has worked

I'm at the end of my rope. I hope someone can HELP!!!!!

1 Message

September 19th, 2012 07:00

Same here, old Dell Dimension C521, added the low profile Radeon X1300 Pro after I got it, running Vista Home Premium, no issues for ages, but I remember the vid card being a pain to get e=running and having to get a specific driver ... but anyways on reboot the other day no video, onboard is working but can't seem to get it to find the add-on most times.  No matter what I try I can't seem to get the card working again, figure it is corrupted drivers etc but not sure how to fix it.

Which specific driver is for windows vista anyways?  I remember some microsoft tech guy sending me to get another driver, I think with a different os spec in fact but not sure, anyone know?

No Events found!