Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 20th, 2016 22:00

how do I change boot order in xps8900

hello , I cloned my hdd to a new ssd then installed ssd using acronis . all went well. computer recognizes ssd as c drive and hhd as e drive. it boots to hdd I believe because (a) it is not faster and (b) I hear the typical noise the hdd maker (whirring) been in bios and got lost , tried going into legacy mode but that just didn't work out well.

I am at a loss what to do next

14.4K Posts

May 22nd, 2016 04:00

the numbers and letters are most likely the model numbers for each of the drives. The SSD will be listed as a HD as the bios will just use this designation to differentiate them from CD or Optical drive. the worse that will happen is the computer will boot up but fail to load windows, in which case you would go back into the bios and select the other drive.

14.4K Posts

May 21st, 2016 13:00

You need to go into the bios (Press the F2 key at the Dell splash screen.)  To confirm if  it is booting from the SSD just disconnect the HDD and boot the machine

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

May 21st, 2016 16:00

Hi, thank you for helping , 1 more question In bios I found boot sequence, it gives me 4 choices for boot sequence, one is clearly the dvd drive, two of the choices start with hd. followed by long numbers and letters that don't match up to anything I can find.  I assume that HD  is hard drive, it is easy to switch them , but will I be in danger of boot failing ect.

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

May 22nd, 2016 07:00

Just a follow up, I switched boot sequence in bios and it started on hdd, I forgot how slow it seemed. then I switched back bios and it started in ssd, but now faster and no whirring noise. it seems that switching them back and forth helped, probably same as switching cables. all well now, thank you for your help, I appreciate it, I know a lot more about windows 10 bios now after exploring everything in there. lol.   mike

No Events found!