Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 20th, 2013 21:00

inspiron 530s power supply/power button problem?

a few weeks ago i started having problems turning on pc.

pressing power button the led goes blue the fan starts then after a few seconds the power goes off. After a few tries at pressing the power button the power would remain and the pc booted up.

yesterday however the pc powered itself off after a few hours and pressing the power button achieves nothing.

if i remove the power cable and then replace then i get the brief blue led and fan. An amber light is always on on the inside of pc whether or not the power blue led is on or not.

any advice greatly welcomed

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

April 20th, 2013 22:00

Hi jmfc,

There are two states of blue on the power light. Please refer to the following.

Blinking blue

The computer is in Standby mode. Press a key on the keyboard, move the mouse, or press the power button to resume normal operation.

If the power light is blue and the computer is not responding, do the following:

• Ensure the display is connected and turned on.
  • If the display is connected and turned on, listen for a beep code.

Steady blue

The system is fully functional and in the On state.

Also, The Inspiron 530s system can emit a series of beeps during start-up if the display cannot show errors or problems. These series of beeps, called beep codes, identify various problems. One possible beep code consists of repetitive three short beeps. This beep code indicates the computer encountered a possible system board failure.

2 Posts

April 20th, 2013 23:00

there is no longer a response from the power button. when the power cable is removed then replaced the blue light comes on, the fan starts, however after a few seconds the pc beeps once then the blue light goes out and the fan stops.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

April 22nd, 2013 12:00

Hi jmfc,

Single beep on Inspiron 530s denotes that there is “BIOS ROM checksum in progress or failure” which means there is system board failure on your system.

Please click on the link below to check the warranty of the system. In case the system is under warranty, send me a private message with the system service tag to assist you further.  Please click on my name and click Start Conversation to send me a private message.

http://dell.to/12Bz4Il

1 Message

August 16th, 2013 12:00

Hello,

My problem is not quite the same as the initiating poster but falls in the same category so I figured this would be the best place to post.

I have a Dell Inspiron 530s desktop purchased through a university new back in ~2008.  No issues up to now.

Problem: over the last couple of weeks, initially when I would press the power button to turn on the computer, then sometimes the computer would not start, but the power button would turn amber. My initial solution was to press and hold the power button until the button went dark again, then re-press the power button (perhaps a bit more firmly the second time) and then the computer would start up appropriately.  However, most of the time when I would go to turn on the computer, the computer would start appropriately.

Then, the next phase was that when I would press the power button, most of the time it would just turn yellow and the trick I mentioned above would not work. Sometimes, it would start up without any difficulties, but this was the exception, not the rule.

Now, the third phase of this problem is that nothing happens at all. When the computer is plugged in but off and I press the button, no button change whatsoever.  I opened up the computer and used a air-blower to blow out dust today and tried to re-seat all power connections that I could, but this did not fix the problem.  Currently, if I do plug in the power cord to the back of the computer, there is a green light on the back that lights up and then there is an amber light that lights up on the inside of the computer as well. No other lights that I could see and the power button is non-responsive.

I don't know how to trouble-shoot this problem -- is the problem the power-supply itself? is it just a "bad button" that has finally malfunctioned? If it is either of these two options, I'm guessing that I could purchase new parts to install relatively easily? Where to look?

Or is something more serious like a problem with the motherboard/CPU itself? How does one trouble shoot this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

--Nick

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 16th, 2013 13:00

kagiso01

Could be a power supply issue, try replacing the power supply.

Due to the constraints of the 530S slim case, only TFX power supply units are compatible, that are usually either the default 250w, or a third party 300/400w.

A 300w TFX PSU can be purchased from HERE

A Dell OEM refurbished 250w PSU can be purchased from here:

http://www.discountelectronics.com/product?gclid=CN3mgM7dgrkCFUui4Aod6TUAqw&product_id=2782&product_model=90

http://www.amazon.com/replacement-TFX0250D5WB-DPS-250ab-28-04G185021200DE-KENTEK/dp/B00598NJ10

Bev.

No Events found!