Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 16th, 2012 07:00

msata 32gb for hard drive caching

where can I find the instruction for adding the 32gb msata drive for caching on my new 8500 dell xps my hard drive is 2tb

I have looked around ,but I can't seem to find the instruction in detail,

Bob Moyer

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

December 16th, 2012 08:00

Hi  Robert Moyer,

Find below the instruction to locate and to install the mSATA drive:

During installation or removal of any hardware, always ensure all data is backed up properly. Disconnect any telephone, network, or USB cables from the computer. Disconnect the computer and all attached devices from their electrical outlets. Remove the Side Cover. The drive marked in yellow in the picture below is where the mSATA drive is located.

Align the notch on the mSATA drive with the tab in the system-board Connector. Insert the mSATA drive at a 45-degree angle into the system-board Connector.

Press the other end of the mSATA drive down into the slot on the system board and replace the screws that secure the mSATA drive to the system board.

Also find instruction in the manual from the link given below:

http://bit.ly/YLvdIh

Please revert if you need instruction to install the Operating system with mSATA installed.

933 Posts

December 16th, 2012 09:00

What I need to know is what do I do after I install it into the machine.  I am looking for instructions  in detail as I am in unchartered  waters.I just got this Dell 8500 with windows 8, 2tb hard drive with 12g of memory. i7 ,when I ordered the computer I thought the 32gb cache drive came with it ,but I found out it did not , that is why I am having this problem.I ordered the 32gb cache drive from crucial it will be here tomorrow, I am thank full for all the help you can give me

Bob Moyer

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

December 17th, 2012 09:00

Hi Robert Moyer,

Once the mSATA drive is installed on the system, go to the BIOS screen by restarting system, at the Dell logo keep tapping the F2 key. BIOS screen appears, click on ‘Advanced’ tab and then on ‘Onboard Device Configuration’ and change it to ‘Raid’ mode.
Next clean install the ‘Operating system’ and all the drivers. Once the installation is complete click on the link below to install ISRT (Dell Intel Rapid Storage Technology) software:
http://dell.to/Sd0qNn  

Step1. Run the Intel RST software through the All Programs menu or the task bar icon. 

Step2. Click Enable acceleration under either the Status or Accelerate menu.

Select the SSD to be used as a cache device.
Select the size from the SSD to be allocated for the cache memory.

Note: Any remaining space on the SSD may be used for data storage using the simple data single-disk RAID 0 volume that is automatically created.
Select the drive (or RAID volume) to be accelerated. It is highly recommended to accelerate the system volume or system disk for maximum performance.
Select the acceleration mode. By default, Enhanced mode is selected.
Note: Enhanced mode: Acceleration is optimized for data protection. 
Maximized mode: Acceleration is optimized for input/output performance.

Click OK. The page refreshes and reports the new acceleration configuration in the Acceleration View. Your system is now successfully configured with the Intel Smart Response Technology. 

933 Posts

December 17th, 2012 16:00

I just bought this computer and I haven't even turned it on yet, and you are saying to do a clean install  of the windows 8 plus the drivers, I wouldn't know where to start, I think I will just send the computer back ,thank you anyway for your help

Robert Moyer

933 Posts

December 18th, 2012 03:00

After thinking it over all night, I decided to give it a shot ,but you know the computer came with no installation disc, what should I do ask Dell for one??

Robert Moyer

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 18th, 2012 05:00

Bob,

To the best of my knowledge, it is not necessary to reinstall the OS. But let me check with Dell-Chris M.

Regardless, I would contact tech support and see if you can order a Windows 8 disc. There's been some discussion about this, so I don't know if the disc is provided free or they will try to charge you. Supposedly the license is built into the BIOS, so there is no need to enter the key during installation.

933 Posts

December 18th, 2012 09:00

Thank you ,John I appreciate you checking into that for me, I really do not know why they decided not to include the disc with the computer.something so important as that,that sure is a good way to turn people off...Your computer arrives and you open the box and there is your computer ,mouse and keyboard, nothing else no manuals nothing, what a letdown , I remember when we bought our xps420's we got leatherbound case with our manual and a little booklet with our express code,and a list of telephone numbers to get in touch with Dell personnel..

what next no mouse or keyboard....and shipped in a paper bag!!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 18th, 2012 11:00

One of the Rockstar guys confirmed that a reinstall is not required. I've asked for someone to point to a procedure, so I'll post that once I get something.

The OS disc issue has been a sore point with those of us that help in the forums as well. I find it a little annoying that the techies here on the forum recommend that you perform a clean installation, but provide no help getting you the disc.

798 Posts

December 18th, 2012 14:00

Those directions above are pretty clear and I would just skip the install clean OS part. The only prerequisite I know of is that the BIOS has to be set to RAID in order to use a mSATA drive as a cache drive.

A clean install would not be difficult either as you have a pretty good helper with Osprey if there is no other way to accomplish this, might be the easy way to approach the install.

798 Posts

December 19th, 2012 12:00

I think I found an easier way to do it.   Seems like you can skip all the partitioning and formatting of the mSATA SSD as the Intel SRT will do all that as it sets up the SSD. 

http://www.overclock.net/t/1227655/how-to-set-up-intel-smart-response-technology-ssd-caching

The trickiest part would be to get the XPS 8500 to start up in RAID mode with an existing OS.   The registry tweak here might be easier if you are not comfortable playing with the registry:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

No Events found!