Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 22nd, 2004 20:00

need advice on setting up a disaster recovery plan

Smart People,

I have an 8200 running Win XP Home. I want to develop a complete "disaster recovery and backup" plan for my system.

Does anyone know of an existing white paper that addresses the A to Z of doing this?

Failing that, please feel free to comment on what the components of such a plan should include. For example, all I have is the OS reinstallation disk that cam with my system. Should I make boot disks? What other things do I need to make sure that I can come back from disaster?

Thanks for any help.

borgan

1.4K Posts

January 22nd, 2004 21:00

The easiest thing to do is add another HDD and transfer all your info to it.

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

January 22nd, 2004 21:00

borgan,

The options available to you are discussed in detail in the links here. With Windows XP you do not require boot disks as the Reinstallation CD is a bootable CD which includes capabilities that were on the emergency boot diskette for Windows 9X systems such as partitioning and formatting.

1K Posts

January 22nd, 2004 23:00

"Adding" another hard drive does nothing for most disaster recoveries. To be safe, the backup data must be kept separate from the system and alternate backup media must be used. Reason for the former is protection against natural disasters (flood, fire...), theft, and catastrophic system failure (power supply fails taking all the system components with it. Reason for the latter is corrupted disk data is often discovered during the course of a backup. If you are backing up to the same media, then you have nothing to recover from.

73 Posts

January 23rd, 2004 00:00

Heres what I do. I have a USB 2.0 Hard Drive linked to my PC. I put everything on it. Files, Music, Papers, Programs Ive Downloaded, (such as AOL IM and Netscape. Stuff like that), and pretty much everything else I don't want to lose. Then every 3 months or so I reinstall windows to get all that d*mn spyware completely off my PC and then I reinstall all my programs as I need to use them. So every time I do this I have a fresh copy of windows running and all my stuff from before. This I find to be the easiest way for backing up your PC.

44 Posts

January 23rd, 2004 00:00

I use PowerQuest's Drive Image to image the entire drive to a 2nd drive or partition.  Norton Ghost does the same think, but I like Drive Image alot better.   I also backup up all my important files separately in case a fresh install is needed.

I always image the drive right before any major changes or program installs.  If I have problems afterwords, I just restore the image and byte for byte it's exactly the way it was before.   WinXP's System Restore is not very good IMO, it picks and chooses what it "thinks" needs to be changed back.   Drive Image has saved me numerous times.

No Events found!