Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 2nd, 2010 09:00

new video card for Dell Dimension 8400

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 that is 5+ years old. Worked great until very recently when I smelled overheating and it shut down. After finding a couple of very helpful threads here, I have determined (I think) that the PS and MB are fine. I removed/unplugged everything and have been adding it back. The video card seems to be the problem; that is, it appears to power up without the VC in place. With it in place, nothing. The four lights on the back flash (and I frankly am not sure what the yellow/green combo is because it goes so fast), but nothing else happens.

I'd like to keep it going as a backup desktop and am willing to buy a new video card. How do I determine which ones will work in this box.

I'm looking at the HIS Radeon HD 4670 on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/HIS-Radeon-iSilence4-Express-H467PR1GH/dp/B002ZLPRZ0/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1286030415&sr=8-9
 Sorry, I can't figure out how to add a link instead of the whole URL.

Other suggestions??

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

October 2nd, 2010 10:00

Don't spend any money on the 8400 until you know exactly what burned out. For starters, look at the capacitors on the MB. They look like tiny tin cans. Are any of them bulging or leaking? That was a problem with some 8400's and require a motherboard replacement. If it is the video card that failed, it might have been the slot on the MB that failed. I would use the cheapest card that would fit to test it--$25 or so--or even a used one that you have or can find--not the one you posted. The lights on the back should stay lit after the computer boots. It's then that you observe the sequence, not while it is booting.

3 Posts

October 2nd, 2010 11:00

Thanks so much for the comments & advice.

The capacitors on the MB look fine - I've touched the tops gently of a few and they are flat.

I didn't think about the slot failing - I will find a working card to test with.

And, the clarification about when to observe the sequence helps.

I will test the video card slot and then possibly give up on this box - there's a time to walk away (but I am always tempted to think I can fix anything!).

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

October 2nd, 2010 14:00

I have the exact same model on my home network that is running windows 7 very well with extra memory and a new hard drive. It makes a good extra computer, so don't give up on it yet. If the slot is OK I would get a budget video card or a used one.

3 Posts

October 3rd, 2010 20:00

Again - thanks so much for your replies. I located a used video card, put it in the slot and was rewarded by a bootup to the O/S. Your comments caused me to consider a couple of things I had not thought about for trouble shooting this problem. As it turns out, I had recently upgraded the video card on one of our other desktops (and had forgotten about it);  the "old" video card is a perfect fit for the 8400. It is also great to know that an upgrade to Win7 is possible.

THANKS!! Your help made the weekend!

No Events found!