Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 11th, 2014 16:00

non-Dell replacement for noisy Inspiron 3000 desktop power supply?

My Inspiron 3000 desktop (normal size, not the small desktop) just arrived.  It works well, except the power supply emits a low but annoying whine.  I've confirmed that the noise is from the power supply and not the CPU or case fan.

Can this power supply be replaced with a standard (or fanless) supply from Seasonic or some other manufacturer, or is there something about it (like its shape or fastening method) that allows only a replacement from Dell?

Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 11th, 2014 16:00

Hi delmhe,

Dell desktops use standard power supplies, but I'm not sure what form factor that model takes. You might want to call and have Dell replace it first before running out to buy a new one.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 14th, 2014 11:00

The spacing between the SATA drive connectors is not standard. That's one of my bugaboos with Dell PSUs. I installed an SSD in my desktop a few months ago and had only one option as to placement due to that issue. But there are extensions for any cable in a PC that would fix the problem.

11 Posts

March 13th, 2014 17:00

Thanks Osprey4, it's good to know that Dell desktops use standard power supplies.

The current supply is a little quieter now, perhaps a break-in issue.

Yes, I'll try a Dell replacement first, if the noise becomes bothersome.

If I do look for another supply, it appears that the spacing between the power connectors on one of the SATA power lines (that allows powering two hard drives, one right above the other) is important.  Is that a standard cable for most supplies and/or does such a cable have a particular name that I need to look for?

Thanks again.

11 Posts

March 15th, 2014 20:00

Thanks for the info.

No Events found!