Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

February 19th, 2006 19:00

question about up grading memory

Hi. I'm new here....and am not really computer literate...therefore this question:  I want to know if I can upgrade my computer memory or should I just purchase a new computer?...
I have a Dell Dimension XPS T500MHz Pentium III with 512K cache. 128MB, SDRAM Memory. I purchased this computer in 1999. Yes, I know it's old, but again I am not a computer wiz nor do I  need all the bells or whistles....Is it possible to just improve the memory and be able to take advantage of the newer programs available while enjoying a faster moving system and the multi-dimentionality offered with increased memory? What would be the cost of just improving the memory? any ideas would be most beneficial....thank you in advance.

1.7K Posts

February 19th, 2006 19:00

11.9K Posts

February 19th, 2006 20:00

@vjvs wrote:
Thank you for your assistance. My next question is who would be the one to place this chip into my tower? Sorry for asking such elementary questions but that is where I am with computers. I am mechanically inclined and will gladly work at doing the placement, but is it as easy as reading directions and inserting the chip where it is supposed to be placed?

You would, and yes it's easy.

4 Posts

Thank you for your assistance. My next question is who would be the one to place this chip into my tower? Sorry for asking such elementary questions but that is where I am with computers. I am mechanically inclined and will gladly work at doing the placement, but is it as easy as reading directions and inserting the chip where it is supposed to be placed?

11.9K Posts

@vjvs wrote:
Hi. I'm new here....and am not really computer literate...therefore this question:  I want to know if I can upgrade my computer memory or should I just purchase a new computer?...
I have a Dell Dimension XPS T500MHz Pentium III with 512K cache. 128MB, SDRAM Memory. I purchased this computer in 1999. Yes, I know it's old, but again I am not a computer wiz nor do I  need all the bells or whistles....Is it possible to just improve the memory and be able to take advantage of the newer programs available while enjoying a faster moving system and the multi-dimentionality offered with increased memory? What would be the cost of just improving the memory? any ideas would be most beneficial....thank you in advance.

You'll find the memory for your XPST isn't cheap.  And with ME more really doesn't help.  If you go to XP that costs money, then more memory.

Would I put $200+ into an XPS T?  No, I wouldn't.

147 Posts

February 20th, 2006 06:00

maxing out your memory would run you around $125-$180 not including postage. I would recomend going to this site and watching the computers for sale in your area.

http://www.craigslist.org/

A least for my area about $250-$300 you can get a faster system, more memory, HD etc... I also see people selling memory from time to time, but it's hard to get the kind of memory that you would need, unless you order it.  I'd look for a PIII or P4 around 900Mhz and up with at least 512Meg, cd burner, etc...($150-$200).

3.9K Posts

February 20th, 2006 16:00

Yeah, that computer isn't worth putting money into.

4 Posts

February 20th, 2006 19:00

@tigerwolf7 wrote:
Yeah, that computer isn't worth putting money into.

Thank you for your succinct answer.

4 Posts

February 21st, 2006 01:00

@james433c wrote:

maxing out your memory would run you around $125-$180 not including postage. I would recomend going to this site and watching the computers for sale in your area.

http://www.craigslist.org/

A least for my area about $250-$300 you can get a faster system, more memory, HD etc... I also see people selling memory from time to time, but it's hard to get the kind of memory that you would need, unless you order it. I'd look for a PIII or P4 around 900Mhz and up with at least 512Meg, cd burner, etc...($150-$200).

thank you for your information.
No Events found!