Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

November 6th, 2004 14:00

"Cannot Display this Video Mode" Error

Everytime I boot up one of our machines, it says "Cannot Display this video mode." I can't get into Windows XP at all. I have a Dell Dimension 4550 w/ 17" flat panel display.

What do I do?????

Message Edited by zachp24 on 11-06-2004 10:10 AM

2 Posts

Haven't unplugged anything...it was working when the computer was shut down, but when it was booted back up it was messed up...

723 Posts

My guess is your useing the wrong cable or the wrong plugin, flat panel monitors use dvi connection on the monitor.

3 Posts

December 24th, 2004 01:00

I have the same problem, and I cannot figure out how to fix it?  I believe my problem was caused when I right clicked within the desktop and changed the Display Mode to possible a resolution that cannot be supported.  The gotcha was the fact that the XP allowed me to make such a selection.  Shame on them as well as me.   I have tried to fix this problem by booting in Safe Mode and uninstalling the Display Driver.  After a warm restart the video is back, but once I shutdown the computer an turn it back on then problem is back.   Any clues?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 24th, 2004 12:00

All,

* Power the computer on
* Press the AB button on the monitor to switch to DVI-I.

10 Posts

January 5th, 2005 09:00

we have the exact same problem. where is the AB button on the monitor???????????????

3 Posts

May 17th, 2012 11:00

I do not think is not the monitor. I have a Vostro 200 running Windows 7 using a Dell monitor with a VGA cable. (Print is too small for me to read monitor model number.) This started after some update.

3 Posts

May 17th, 2012 11:00

Wrong. The monitors can use VGA or DVI cables. In my case, the computer and monitor can together from Dell and there is no DVI output on the video card.

No Events found!