Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 16th, 2014 19:00

"Live Kernel Event" and black screen question

Hi: I've been attempting to diagnose a problem with a new (Dell XPS 8700) system when trying to play the RPG games Skyrim or TombRaider. I encounter a black screen with computer lockup when either game starts. The only solution is a "cold boot" using the power button. In addition, last week, after the computer was shut down for two days, I started the system and found the video was running at a resolution of 1024x768. I attempted to change back to the 1920x1080 HD resolution, but it was not available. When I did a warm boot with the restart button, the video resolution was back to normal. I’ve run all applicable tests, both on the computer hardware and software (Dell Pc Diagnoses, ePSA and SFC) and the diagnostic tools on the Dell website. Testing shows everything is fine. Real time use says otherwise. Multiple reloads and uninstalls of both Steam and the games have been done with no resolution. Test results are available if required (Dell website testing should be on record) I found 30 instances of the hardware error "Live Kernel Event" in the "Action Center". The errors started when I assembled the new system (5/10/14) and the last was on 5/29/14 (according to the Reliability Monitor). The error code is split between 141 and 117. An internet search showed that this particular event is related to video (I have a Radeon R9 270 installed). I've updated all drivers and software, with the video card running Version 14.6 and I have run all maintenance duties and Virus scans. System: Dell XPS 8700 with 24G ram running Windows 8.1. AMD Radeon R9 270 Video Card with 2g Ram. Creative labs Sound card and Dell U2414H Flat Screen monitor connected with DP to mini DP cable (supplied with the monitor). any thoughts? Mike
No Responses!
No Events found!