Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 18th, 2014 09:00

retrieving Microsoft Windows xp licence code for my Inspiron 546

Will be replacing my original Hard Drive in my 546 and will need to do a fresh download of my Dell XP sp3 disk. The problem is the licence code on the Micorsoft licence sticker has faded. I have heard that Dell can supply these code numbers for the dell PC's.

This is very important to me and the children I tutor, so any help getting te codes would hasten the repair of my PC.

Thank You 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 18th, 2014 12:00

flypaper2222

Yes, Dell stores the product key in the BIOS, not the hard drive, but you need to install the same windows  version that's was factory installed.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 18th, 2014 10:00

If you're installing with a Dell Windows XP Reinstallation disk, it shouldn't ask you for a product key. If it's a non-Dell Windows disk, it will ask for a product key to activate.

Keep in mind that XP is no longer supported by Microsoft and they're not providing any new security patches for XP.

November 18th, 2014 10:00

Even though I am removing the old hard drive and  installing a new (bought from DELL) hard drive? 

November 18th, 2014 15:00

Thank you all who answered, that removes a large weight off of me Thank You.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 18th, 2014 17:00

flypaper2222

Bev.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

November 18th, 2014 20:00

Windows XP has reached end of life. You will only be able to install Windows XP if you have the Dell XP Reinstallation CD. Since Windows XP is obsolete neither Dell nor Microsoft are allowed to ship out a Reinstallation CD for Windows XP.

That system, the Inspiron 546 however should not have came with a Windows XP license however. It should have only came with a Windows 7 license. In some cases it would have came with a Windows 7 Professional license with downgrade rights to Windows XP Professional but this was rare for home configurations.

Windows 7 is downloadable and I advise you follow my A Clean Install of Windows 7 which instructs you in downloading installation media, takes you through the install, Windows Update offline, applying OEM SLP activation, installing the drivers in the correct order and making new factory settings with Dell Backup and Recovery:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/windows-7-sp1-iso-download/

November 19th, 2014 09:00

in fact I do have one of the 546's you described I paid dell an extra $ to put XP on it since all my programs would have been lost  going to 7. So my question still stands can I safely restore a new download of xp on my 546. I do have a Dell XP  disk., will it work without the MICRO lice key.

And by the way mine originally was to be a VISTA machine not a 7. I now have a 7 pro disk with key numbers but again am afraid to lose a lot of my programs if I change over.

My thoughts on Microsoft can not shared on this post....

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

November 19th, 2014 10:00

That PC should have been one of the last Vista PCs, sold in the last 6 months before Windows 7 was released and as such would have been eligible for the free upgrade to Windows 7 Professional. Therefore the system locked preinstallation mechanism of XP professional, Vista Business and 7 Professional will all work on this system providing the latest BIOS is installed.

My advise would be to install Windows 7 Professional and use XP Mode if you have any incompatible software. XP should be considered unsafe as it is not updated and does not offer the security features of a modern OS, especially if you are having kids use it.

If you want to go ahead and clean install Windows XP however you can follow my guide A Clean Install of Windows XP using your Windows XP Professional SP3 Reinstallation CD:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/legacy-windows-xp-reinstallation-guide/

Start midway on part 2, downloading Windows and Office Updates Offline.

No Events found!