Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 31st, 2011 20:00

suspect motherboard

have read posts on dead machines, however most have a light or 2 on.I have a small led on motherboard that lights green.This is the only light which comes on on whole computor.Front lights power or other do nothing.I put in new power supply,nothing.I shorted green wire to black and power supply and harddrive come on.I removed ram and all cards,also unplugged dvd and harddrive and tried to power on and nothing.No power supply fan,no lights on front,no clicks.I removed front cover,checked power switch connector and pressed button directly from there and still nothing.Pretty sure I have a dead board but would like a second opinion before I spend the money.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 31st, 2011 21:00

have read posts on dead machines, however most have a light or 2 on.I have a small led on motherboard that lights green.This is the only light which comes on on whole computor.Front lights power or other do nothing.I put in new power supply,nothing.I shorted green wire to black and power supply and harddrive come on.I removed ram and all cards,also unplugged dvd and harddrive and tried to power on and nothing.No power supply fan,no lights on front,no clicks.I removed front cover,checked power switch connector and pressed button directly from there and still nothing.Pretty sure I have a dead board but would like a second opinion before I spend the money.

yosimity

You need to post the computer model.

Bev.

4 Posts

August 1st, 2011 02:00

forgot it's a E520

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 1st, 2011 07:00

I have no luck with Antec Earthwatts series.

If the system draws too much power it will not boot.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 1st, 2011 07:00

yosimity

As you have already replaced the power supply, with hopefully, a know working unit.

Remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cables are connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If you do not get any beep codes and/or there is no change in the bi-colour power light, it would appear that the motherboard and/or the processor has died.

Note: The only method I know of checking a checking a processor, is to either install it in a compatible working PC, or use a known working processor.

Bev.

No Events found!