Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 23rd, 2007 23:00

upgrade optiplex gx260

I have a Dell Optiplex gx260 with motherboard number 04T274 running a 1.8 Ghz celeron.  Wanting to upgrade to p4.  Dell tech says I can use willamette chip or Northwood chip.  Northwood requires socket N.  My chipset is 845g which is 478 pins.  I think Northwood is 423 pins.  Question is am I right or can I use Northwood chip at higher speeds or do I need to stick to willamette.  If later then what speed would I top out at and what model number chip would I get.  Current bus speed is 400 Mghz and I think that limits me as well.  Also, will I need to put in new fan and/or new power supply. 

Also looking at video cards and all the latest and greatest seem to require at least p4 and pci express bus.  Is that same as pci on my board.  Can't seem to find out what express means.  Could just stick with agp but still need p4 chip.  Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Dave.

1.3K Posts

December 24th, 2007 01:00

smaug1525

Save your money friend.

The Optiplex GX260 was made during the capacitor fiasco of that genre. Even if your GX260 is the MT case design it is an older technology not worth investing another dime into.  

Yes, the CPU socket is 478 pin....but supports only the 400 or 533 system bus speed.
Upgrading to a 478 pin 533 cpu is not worth the time or CPU thermal paste, let alone extra cost.

The GX260 was a good business machine back in the day, but as business demands became more intense, so did the business machines.

My company decomissioned the Optiplex GX 2XX series computers ages ago. They are just now dumping the GX 6XX series.

MD

2 Posts

December 24th, 2007 02:00

I believe ManyDimensions has had some issues keeping himself within reality.

Yes, the machine you are running is somewhat outdated,  the capacitor fiasco was with the gx270s and gx280's as I recall but maybe in his dimension the 260's were involved also. 

Everything you want to do depends on what kind of software you are trying to run.  If you're tring to run World in Conflict or Crysis I would definitely recommend moving to a newer system.  The 260 will not support PCIe only AGP and I believe only 4x in that.  I play plenty of games that don't require high end graphics boards.  I believe the Northwood CPU are compatible with your chipset, but bios could be an issue you may need to flash to the newest version. Your current power supply should be good unless you get a power hungry AGP card which probably would be overkill in a 4x slot. PCIe is a dedicated slot for graphic cards much as AGP but simply put PCIe is the newer technology and now a standard for graphics card manufacturers.

1.3K Posts

December 24th, 2007 03:00

Luni12go

The reality of my post is most certainly keeping within the issue of upgrade cost versus performance.

Why spend good money to upgrade old technology? That makes about as much sense as your previous post.

Intel 478pin processors have been out of production for years now. AGP graphics cards are all but dead in the water.

Furthermore, anyone using a five or more year old  business class computer for gaming does not have much experience with current technology or gaming.

This may be just my opinion but is unbiased fact.

MD

2 Posts

December 24th, 2007 03:00

ManyDimensions,

I totally understand what you are relaying here. But statistically speaking you make up a minority of computer users that why I say you're hanging out in a different dimension.  The largest percentage of the population have PCs that are over 4 years old and shop at KMart and WalMart for their software. I run across people all the time that have 10 year old PCs and ask me what they should do upgrade or buy a new one.  I try to say buy a new one but most often end up pointing them to CraigsList where they can but a used 3 or 4 year old system with which they become happy in the end.  Now we've got WalMart selling VIA 1.8ghz machines(and selling out of them too..) which even some 5 yr old computers could leave in the dust.  Everything to me depends on what the individual wants to do with their machine. 

I used to teach classes on PC Repair and basically told people that in 18 month your computer is outdated and in 3 years it is obsolete.  But, the fact is most people only buy new machines when the cost of fixing a broken machine outweighs the cost of a new one.  The machine I was inquiring about in my post was a machine that I am using as a secondary and it will suffice well.  I see 3.2 Prescotts for $79 and will probably try one for it after doing more investigation as to whether it logical from my point of view.  I'll probaly try to flash my bios too, and see if I can get the hyperthreading logo on boot up if it doesn't work this 270 will still be a good secondary workhorse for me chugging along converting video files until it demise.  I appreciate your time in answering my question as I am also sure smaug1525 does but dig a little deeper and explore our needs before you decimate our dreams.   Live Long and Prosper!!

1.3K Posts

December 24th, 2007 04:00

Luni12go

I appreciate your position because I have been there myself. No argument intended.

Economically, fiscally, and ethically I can not recommend upgrading a computer three or more generations from current.

I am not suggesting to anyone that they should throw away a serviceable unit. I am suggesting that they should reconsider spending money on one that is three or more generations from current technology. $79 here and $35 there are all small amounts but when combined represent 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of a second generation refurbished (as new) computer from Dell Outlet.  Saving the investment capital and selling off the old unit to reinvest makes good financial sense. Dropping random dollars into an aging technology does not.

The benefits from upgrading to newer technology are staggering in comparison to piece part renewal.

I do not expect everyone to agree. I just put it out there for your consideration.

MD

1.7K Posts

December 24th, 2007 04:00

Back to the original question. You have an older machine but something quite serviceable. A lot of going on the market and being snatched up by smart people. Getting a 2.0 to 2.4 P4 would make a nice improvement. Upping the memory is you first thing to do. If you are doing video watching or some games, a good agp video card will make a big difference. If it the web and maybe youtube, not so much bang for the buck.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 24th, 2007 09:00

Going back to the original question, the GX260 supports:

P4, socket 478, 533 or 400 MHz bus, Northwood or Willamette CPUs.

It will NOT support 800 MHz bus units (Prescott) or higher.

Video must be AGP - not PCI Express.

9 Posts

December 24th, 2007 11:00

Wow.

That was a lot to swallow there.  Didn't mean to start an upgrade war there but thank you all for your input.

ManyDimensions, you are correct in that I have little gaming experience.  In fact, I hardly game at all.  I am on limited budget and time and just wanted a second computer with decent speed and a few bells and whistles.  This is a second system in the household for me to use as main system is usually tied up by family.  I use it mostly for downloading and converting video files and for watching missed tv episodes and dvd movies.  It does allright for these things just not as quick or as good a quality as I would have thought.  I got a great deal on the system overall as it has cd burner and dvd player and large hard drive.  I figure another $200 or so into a p4 chip and agp card plus some more RAM will make it fast enough for a little video editing.

Luni12go, yeah, I'm not wealthy.  Can't afford the games even, much less the technology required to run them.  As I am not an avid gamer I feel I can get my gaming thrills from older games that were designed to run on the older systems when they were new.  Don't really want or need the latest and greatest to keep up with the Jones.

tr4, yes mostly video editing.  I do quite of bit of youtube and grabbing flash video is slow going.  You don't think a p4 2.2 or 2.6 with agp card would help much?  I don't think it needs a big boost, just a little shove.

ejn63,  Thanks as you actually answered the question. I suppose I will need to stick with agp card at 256 megs with directx 9.0 support.  Don't think they make a 512 that my system will handle.

To all of you.  Thank you for your help.  All information is valuable, even (or especially) the negative consequences, when trying to make fianancial decisions.  As it stands,  I think I will stick to upgrading this system as I have allready invested in the mini-tower itself.

Merry Christmas and a happy Yule to everyone.

PS. Is there a specific model number for the cpu I need (as high a speed as I can compatiably get), and will a dvi connection on an agp card help?  Monitor is Tatung Triview with dvi and vga as well as s-video input.  I know just the cable for dvi is about $50.00.  Not sure if dvi is going to give me that much better quality?

1.7K Posts

December 24th, 2007 12:00

I did think a faster cpu would help. I believe you need to stick with 400 mhz bus speed. Getting the fastest processor will be hardest and most expensive, going almost fastest is much cheaper. You do get into economics. You did not mention your network type or connection. Having a wired internet connection usually gives best video watching pleasure. Doesn't help to soup up your engine if your tires are bald

9 Posts

December 25th, 2007 12:00

tr4, Thank you again.  I am running on AT@t Dsl Ultra 1.5 meg on Link-sys wireless 54 meg router.  For the most part it seems to work as well on second system as it does on main.  I live way out in the country and consider myself lucky to have Dsl at all.  I expect speed increase from main line soon now and hope to have the optipelx as capable as possible to handle it.

Merry Christmas, Dave.

1 Rookie

• 

100 Posts

December 28th, 2007 17:00

For "internet browsing" you don't neeed anything FAST nor a super high speed connection... I still use an old PII (yes TWO) laptop with 256mb of ram under XP, via wireless B connection, and they thing is great for reading email or browsing the web (except for flash ridden sites). Back to the topic, the only things I would do the GX260 would be upgrade the processor to a 2.4 (highest it would support) from the 1.8. But double check the board to make sure you don't have bulging capacitors as the higher processor might make the problem worse. Note the box itself has a limit on memory (AFAIK 2GB) and only two slots for it. And it's IDE based as well... As far as AGP cards, try to pick up a used one at a local market. You only need a 128mb as you can't expect to run the latest and greatest games out of this... My .02...

693 Posts

December 29th, 2007 12:00

The GX260 supports up to a 3.06GHz 533MHz FSB 512k L2 cache Northwood maximum. It also only supports 1GB maximum, not 2GB.

My old PIII Dimension 4100 does internet browsing fine, but I also noticed the lag on flash when I used it the other day. Not sure if I'm used to more speed or if flash got more intensive in the past year, but it surprised me a little.

9 Posts

December 29th, 2007 14:00

By the way.  Also using Link-sys wirelss g network at 54MB.  keeps up with DSL speed well enough but not all that hot transfering files within the network.

9 Posts

December 29th, 2007 14:00

su_A_ve:  Thank you.  I purchased a Northwood P4 2.8GHz 533 fsb for the system.   Haven't got it yet but I'm sure it will work fine.  Also bought 1GB stick of Ram 400 MHz Low density.  That's not here yet either.  I await both eagerly.

Bobman101:  Thanks for your input.  Everything I've seen indicates the gx260 will take 2 GB of ram in 1GB sticks.  Is that what you mean?

I have not purchased a video card yet but have narrowed my search to 128 MB ATI card.  I am told this will do everthing I need as I really on want it for converted flv files and older games.  Most of the files I download and convert turn out really blocky and don't look very well in full screen mode.  Would a 128 MB card take care of that or does that sound like something that requires a 256 card.  Definetly not going 512 as MoBo and power supply won't handle it.   Reason for going with ATI is that Wikipedia says Nvidia has issues which AtI long since resolved.

Again, Thanks to all.

693 Posts

December 30th, 2007 02:00

The reason it seems slow on the network is becuase it's limited to 54Mb/s versus the standard 100Mb/s or 1Gb/s of wired connections. That is NOT the speed of your internet connection. It's the speed of your router and PC's connection (although obviously this means your internet connection is limited to that speed or below, most users don't have connections near 54Mb so this doesn't matter).
No Events found!