Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 30th, 2012 21:00

upgrading gpu on dell xps 8500

Just got an new dell xps 8500 with a 2gb amd 7770 gpu ( I7 3770 8gb ram).   Very please with performance so far but interesting in upgrading gpu at some point.

Can i possibly replace my current gpu with an amd 7870 or nvidia gtx 680?

If yes, should i replace my psu?

Can i place a new modular psu on my dell xps 8500 and have the proper connections with the motherboard and the rest.

1.5K Posts

August 2nd, 2012 19:00

Honestly, depending on the games you play, there may not be a whole lot of performance difference between the two.  If you overclock the HD 7870, it will run about as good as the HD 7950.  It is still very power efficient with about a 15% difference so it could possibly work.  You will have to decide if it's worth the extra cost for the card and then the cost of a PSU if necessary.  

5 Posts

August 3rd, 2012 14:00

Thanks for your help kelbear

2 Intern

• 

270 Posts

July 31st, 2012 01:00

the 7870 is one of the graphics option dell sells with the XPS 8500 ... i looked at the review of the GTX 680 on pcper.com and at max load the entire system used 321 watts ... as long as the 460w raiting on the Dell power supply is accurate it should get the job done ... to be safe i would make sure the power supply has the 2 6-pin connectors both those cards need.  i know a few hard core gamers that  would say bump up with a new power supply just to be safe ... or increase bragging rights i think.

July 31st, 2012 02:00

Hi Manji 8232,

My name is Shomprakash and I'm from the Dell Social Media Team. I'd be happy to assist you tith this query.

Kindly note that the graphics card on your Dell system is indeed upgradeable. However, the factory power supply is dell-recommended, and should not be replaced.

The graphics cards applicable for your computer, as available with Dell are : (Please note that these parts are customized for Dell and should be acquired via Dell support only)-

AMD-Radeon HD 7570 / 7770 / 7870

nVidia GT620 / GT640

If you require futher assistance, Kindly reply here. We would be happy to assist.

Kindest Regards,

Dell_Shomprakash_R

Dell Social Media Responder

http://facebook.com/dell

http://twitter.com/dell

5 Posts

July 31st, 2012 12:00

that would be great except the amd 7870 is not even in stock at dell support

1.5K Posts

July 31st, 2012 12:00

The HD 7870 would be fine with your current power supply.  I would have reservations about using the GTX 680, however.   Any retail one should not be an issue.  HERE is a list on Newegg as low as $259 after rebate.  Just verify the lengths on some of these to make sure you have room since the mini towers don't give you much space to work with.  Note that most all of these have the power connectors on the top and not the back of the card making them easier to hook up but the case is only 6.9" wide.   They have to fit before that frame inside as shown in the picture with an HD 7870. 

5 Posts

July 31st, 2012 14:00

thanks kelbear - here are the dimensions of the 7870  - 9.5" x 4.38" x 1.5"

So its highly like that it will be just a gpu switch out and no psu change....

honestly this will be my first time switching out gpus on a prebuilt - any precautions i should take?

1.5K Posts

July 31st, 2012 21:00

Just follow the instructions in your manual HERE.  Also, uninstall the AMD Catalyst Control Manager in your add/remove programs first before removing your old card. After you install the new card, then install the new AMD software.   Download this software from the AMD site and have it on your desktop ready to install.  Most likely the version on the CD will be out of date.  It is also recommended that you temporarily disable your anti virus software while installing the new AMD software.  

5 Posts

August 2nd, 2012 17:00

Great kelbear - last question i've seen previous iterations online of the xps 8500 with a 3gb 7950 - can i use this or do i need to do a psu upgrade.  If so what would you recommend?

No Events found!