Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 26th, 2009 08:00

webcam not working with microsoft messenger

i have purchased a XPS one desk top and cant get the built in webcam to work with the windows live messenger. i called dell and they wanted me to pay to have someone from the SOFTWEAR team to assist.. they say there is a conflict between dell softwear the microsoft softwear?? i called microsoft and they say they are not aware of any problems.. i seen on the forum that some people have the same problems?? has anyone got any ideas for a work around.. i have tryed installing a stand alone webcam but the computer keeps finding the dell built in webcam.. anyone any suggestions.. cheers kinv

4.6K Posts

February 26th, 2009 14:00

Did you install the Webcam Manager software for the on-board webcam kinv?  You should've received it on one of the discs you got with the system?

Did you visit the 'Drivers & Downloads' page on the Dell website, and download/install all the latest drivers?

Did you disable the on-board webcam in Device Manager, before connecting the stand-alone webcam?

And did you install the drivers/software for the stand-alone webcam, before you connected it?

BTW:  I personally think it's ridiculous for tech support to suggest you needed to talk to the software team, when the problem is with the on-board webcam - which is hardware :emotion-3:

They can't know for sure it's a software problem, unless they go through the problem with you :emotion-40:

No Events found!