Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 24th, 2008 18:00

x32 to x64 OS Swap still available?

HI,

I already posted this question in the Microsoft OS board but I haven't gotten any responses that have helped....

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19247374/19391369.aspx#19391369

I apologize if I was not suppose to post the same question in 2 boards but its been a week with no further responses.

Long story short, I bought a Studio Slim 540s with 32bit VHP couldn't get it with x64 at the time of purchase. I have since came across numerous posts that state that people have been able to obtain the 64bit recovery DVD's from Dell and would like to do the same. My system is a Q6600 and I was told by the techs on the phone a few different reasons why VHP x64 wouldn't work on my system but I know it will as the system is now sold by default with the 6bit OS and I work as a IT Professional so I understand the differences between 32bit and 64bit.

Is there anyone who could help me out, I was told by the Mod on the MS OS board to PM him if I live in the US but I  don't live in the US..... I live in Canada....

Thanks for any help!

14.4K Posts

December 25th, 2008 07:00

While the policy is supposed to be world wide it appears that each area sets thier own rules. This has been the case for a while.

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

December 25th, 2008 08:00

While the policy is supposed to be world wide it appears that each area sets thier own rules. This has been the case for a while.

What Dave50 said is true, If you live in the US, you can get the software, but if you live in the UK, you cant.

14.4K Posts

December 25th, 2008 09:00

That sounds like the old orginal policy. Which indeed only was for business users. That was since revised. Don't have the new policy number reference handy.

Perhaps if you pm Chris m or dell Bill B they can provide that info. Somewhere on the mess of a forum it exists but finding things can be nightmare.

6 Posts

December 25th, 2008 09:00

When I was speaking with the manager on the phone after quite some time he finally acknowledged that the policy did exist although he did say that he was previously unaware of it, he said that it excludes "consumer's" which he defined as "home and office users" and from what I understand Vista Business is excluded from the swap. Which I really don't understand because I where I work we get hundreds of computers every year and all of them come with Vista Business, even though we just turn around and put XP on them. So if you take something like that into account with what the manager said the majority of Dell's customer's are excluded from the swap and most companies or businesses most likely would not even bother with something like this.

Since I obviously don't have access to the document, do you happen to know if what the manager said was true? Or can someone refer me to where I can find the document?

No Events found!