Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 21st, 2014 08:00

xps 8300 video upgrade r7 260x video issues

hi, im having issues w/my r7 260x ati radeon visiontek.  I plug the video card in (w/remembering to plug the 6 pin power cable into it ) and i get no video just a black screen.  I have tried wiping all the old drivers from previous card and i still get a black screen.  Ive tried all the different video connectors...hdmi..dvi an still nothing.  Do i need to buy a larger power supply?

1.5K Posts

February 21st, 2014 16:00

You do not need to buy a larger power supply.  That will not be the problem with an R7 260X and a 460 watt PSU.  Make sure you have updated to the most recent bios for this system.  Reseat the card, connect the monitor to it and try again.  If nothing, I would probably consider it a bad card or a compatibility issue.  Send the card back and get the new GTX 750 Ti for the same price.  It's faster. There have been way too many video card upgrade issues and the XPS models (8100, 8300, 8500 & 8700).  

9 Posts

February 24th, 2014 08:00

Thanks for the response.  So how do i tell if its a compatibility issue or a defective card?  I updated my bios like u suggested and still got the black screen.   I turned on my vga port and left the r7 260x in  and the pc wasnt even detecting it.  I searched many forums and a lot of ppl are suggesting its a power supply issue.  As far as the video card u suggested i looked it up and its slower than the one i bought from dell and thats not what i want.  Does dell have a compatibility chart for 8300 xps desktops?  I cant just keep buying video cards an returning them i cant afford that.  Im sending back the card anyway but would like some help on compatibility.  

1.5K Posts

February 24th, 2014 16:00

There really should never be a compatibility issue.  You can replace the power supply but it still won't work. Others have tried that.  Dell only tests a limited number of cards on any system.  Newer cards that come out after they system is discontinued will not be tested.  You can really only go through the forums as far as what others have gotten to work.  

What brand did you buy?  Sometimes I feel it can be brand related since every manufacturer's board will be different.  I have never had a video card that did not work, but I have also limited my brands to a small handful. My preference is Sapphire for AMD and EVGA for Nvidia.  I realize you don't want to keep buying cards and having them not work.  That would upset anyone.  

The GTX 750 Ti is faster than the R7 260x.  They're close, but the GTX 750 Ti outperforms it in almost all situations.  

I bought the EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW card so I know it outperforms the R7 260x pretty well.  

9 Posts

February 25th, 2014 07:00

thx for the response.  My apologies ive looked at so many cards i got it mixed up when i said it was slower than the r7 260x.  My brand i bought from dell is as always the Visiontek series.  Ill send this card back an see about the card u suggested.  Now you know for sure it will work in my xps 8300 system? 

thx again for all your help i appreciate it :)

1.5K Posts

February 25th, 2014 11:00

I could have guessed it was a VisionTek.  I cannot guarantee anything when it comes to the XPS models.  My thoughts are though it's as good a shot as any and one I would try. 

9 Posts

February 26th, 2014 07:00

thx for the response i appreciate it. :)    Looks like ill just keep the card i have as i cant just keep going on and buying a new card and crossing my fingers it will work.  I think this is the last dell pc i buy.  With all the issues i see in forums you would think dell would try to update the bios one last time for ppl to keep their customer base happy.  Thanks again for the quick responses :)

No Events found!