Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 8th, 2012 10:00

I have another Dell 2400 that as soon as you start it up it ask for a password. I have taken the battery out and removed and put back the jumper(the little black thing that goes over two post) when i restart it says hit enter to continue without password. But when i hit enter it ask for a password. I don't care what or even know what is on the hard drive i am just trying to rebuild so my daughter can have a computer.........Any help?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 8th, 2012 12:00

When you take the battery out to reset the BIOS (CMOS Memory), you need to have the PC powered off and remove the battery for at least 10 minutes (Intel says 15 minutes).  

63 Posts

ps.  this diagram should help

63 Posts

There is more than one possible source for the password prompt.  The two most common ones are from the system BIOS or an encrypted hard disk.  If you temporarily remove the data cable from the hard drive and still receive a prompt for a password the next time that you boot the system then you have a BIOS password.  Removing the battery can work but it is an unreliable way to clear the BIOS.  The correct way to clear the password and all settings from the BIOS is with the use of jumper labeled JP1 that resides near to the battery.  Power down the system, remove the power cord, press and hold the power button for 5 seconds to remove any residual power from the system board, and then remove the black pastic jumper that is covering the two pins.  Replace the jumper and then plug the computer back in and restart.

14.4K Posts

May 8th, 2012 15:00

you were given the wrong jumper the jumper you should be using is J1 on the diagram.

11 Posts

May 8th, 2012 19:00

okay i have unplugged the hard drive i have taken the battery out and remove and replace the jumper on J1 and i did this all at the same time. I am still getting this:

Invalid configuration information-please run SETUP program

Performing automatic IDE configuration.....  (when i first start it back up after doing the above it stay here for may be a minute or two)

Primary Master : Disk Drive

Time-of-day not set-please run SETUP program

Type the password and....

--press to leave password security enabled.

--press to disable password security.

No matter which one i do and yes i have done both after doing the above i still get

**Incorrect password.**

11 Posts

May 8th, 2012 19:00

okay i have unplugged the hard drive i have taken the battery out and remove and replace the jumper on J1 and i did this all at the same time. I am still getting this:

Invalid configuration information-please run SETUP program

Performing automatic IDE configuration.....  (when i first start it back up after doing the above it stay here for may be a minute or two)

Primary Master : Disk Drive

Time-of-day not set-please run SETUP program

Type the password and....

--press to leave password security enabled.

--press to disable password security.

No matter which one i do and yes i have done both after doing the above i still get

**Incorrect password.**

No Events found!