Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 7th, 2006 20:00

4600 form factor?

The 4600 motherboards are microATX, correct? A friend of mine has one that's out of warranty and he wants me to replace the PSU and pop the whole thing into a new case.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 7th, 2006 21:00

Dreamstalker

Yes, it's MicroATX.

Does your friend know about the problem of installing a proprietary Dell motherboard into a standard ATX case?

Bev.

Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

51 Posts

November 8th, 2006 01:00

No. I was considering simply getting him another s478 motherboard and swapping CPU, RAM, HDD, etc but I don't think he still has the original system discs (I have an old set from a 4400 but I don't think that would work). IME it's easier for me to reinstall than sit on hold trying to reactivate an OS (I could install Linux, but he doesn't want to have to learn a new OS).

I'm currently looking for a front panel header pinout to hook the board into the new case just to get the thing to boot so I can back up files (something relating to the case power button is up royally and we can't figure out what).

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 8th, 2006 02:00

Dreamstalker

Dell has never published the pinouts of their proprietary motherboards and front panel connectors,

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_other&message.id=130144

This link about the D-4600 pinouts may help you,

If you use a Dell motherboard in an ATX case, you will require a new CPU fan, heatsink and motherboard retention bracket, as Dell's are proprietary units.

Bev.

Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.
No Events found!