Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 20th, 2009 13:00

5.1 Surround sound speakers with no sound on the front left or right speakers.

I don't know hardly where to start: I have a dell XPS 400 desktop computer I bought with 5.1 speaker setup, with a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi soundcard from the time I got the computer the sound worked fine. After about a year because of system problems I had do a format of the harddrive and reinstall windows XP Pro and all my other software, everything worked fine except for the sound. At first it was no sound but I fixed that right away now I have sound but nothing from the front L & R speakers I also have an error with my IDT High Definition Audio Codec - Code 10 can not start. Can't seem to get that fixed no matter what I do There is a lot of stuff online about this problem and I've tried alot of the fixes but nothing works Most of the time all you do is knock out your sound all together and have to spend a lot of time to get back to where you were in the begining. I was told I needing to download a driver from dell Sigmatel driver STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio 5.10.0.4823.A05 which I did and at first I thought it worked, I did have sound in my front left and right speakers but lost the sound in all the other speakers tried a number of things to fix but nothing worked so I uninstalled the Sigmatel driver and went back to what I had. I also downloaded any updated drivers for my soundcard they had from Creative.coms website and still have same problem anyway my front two speakers work fine I just can't get them all too work together. I've tried many more things than I can list here, my head hirts just thinking about it I believe this is not a hardware problem but a software problem which someone out must know how to fix. Any help would be great!!!  Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 20th, 2009 14:00

Since you have a separate Sound Blaster sound card, you need to disable the IDT High Definition Codec (Integrated - on  the motherboard Audio).  The Integrated Audio is disabled in the BIOS (Setup accessed by F2 at boot up).  You can only have one active audio and I assume you want to use the SoundBlaster. 

When you reinstalled, the correct and required sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Intel Chipset Drivers (3) Install Device drivers including sound, video, ethernet, etc.  The chipset drivers MUST be installed before most devices including the sound.  One of the main things the chipset drivers do is define all the devices on or attached to the motherboard.

Finally, assuming you have the speakers correctly attached to the SoundBlaster Xfi, check the Speaker Configuration for the Xfi and make sure it's set for 5.1.  It sounds like it's set for "stereo" or "2.1" speakers.

October 20th, 2009 14:00

Hello,

Thanks for the help, my speakers are set for 5.1 but the bios help was greatly appreciated. I did what you said turned off the integrated audio and now everything works fine. This problem has been going on for months. I can't believe it was such an easy fix.

thanks again

l

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 20th, 2009 17:00

Thanks for the feedback and that it fixed it.  Don't forget to mark my response as Accepted Solution. 

5 Posts

August 13th, 2012 15:00

same thing on my xps 400 now it works great again i must have set bios back to default--darn

5 Posts

August 13th, 2012 15:00

wow thank God for this post-all my speakers are on and its amazing

No Events found!