Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2008 14:00

A drive problem

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 with an A drive. The computer keeps trying to access my A drive. The little light goes on then I hear the noise of it trying to read a disk. There is no disk in the drive. It will access a disk if I insert one. 

This started when I tried to update to Windows XP Service Pack 2.   When trying to update to SP 2, I was told to download updates I needed before updating to SP 2. Then I tried twice to install SP2 and both times in the middle of the installing files.. Service Pack 2 Setup Error, did not complete, Select "OK" to undo the changes that have been made.

Selected "OK" 

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Removal Wizard...deleting files

Tried again and had the same problem (error code 0X80070005)

Had quite a few problems..(Access Denied Drive C: Unable to use Windows Add/Remove program as it can't be found. Plus other problems.)...to many to try to sort so I restored the computer using System Restore to the day before I tired updating to Service Pack 2.  

This System Restore worked but my computer is trying to access Drive A:. 

How do I change that? I did not try just unplugging Drive A from the mother board as I wonder if Drive A is accessed when I turn on my computer in the morning?

Thank you

Sincerely

Maureen

Dell Deminsion 8300

Pentium 4 Processor

120GB Serial ATA Hard Drive

3.5in Floppy Drive (Drive A:) 

Windows Home Edition XP Service Pack 1 

BIOS Version A05 

2K Posts

October 28th, 2008 14:00

This will be more sympathy than help.  I have an XPS R400 with W98.  Ever since I put a bad floppy in it once, it always goes to the floppy the first time I try to access Window Explorer.  It only does it once per session.  I have tried everything I could think of to make it go back to the way it was, and nothing works.  I suspect reinstalling the OS would fix it, but that's too much trouble for such a small bug so I just live with it.

Since it started with the SP update, that probably planted a similar bug as mine into Windows.  A possible workaround that you could still undo without opening the box when you needed the floppy, would be to turn it off in F2 setup.  That would stop the accessing.  What Windows would do when it encountered that request and no drive, I can't predict.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 28th, 2008 17:00

When does it try accessing the floppy drive A: ? When you click a specific shortcut, all the time...?

Ron 

10 Posts

October 30th, 2008 14:00

It accesses the A floppy drive every few seconds.  I don't have to click on anything for the computer to do this.

2K Posts

October 30th, 2008 15:00

If you have antivirus, check that it is not set to autoscan drive A.

10 Posts

October 30th, 2008 15:00

I have Norton Internet Security under Additional Options is Virus and Spyware Protection Options. When I clicked on this I found Scan Floppy Disk in Drive A for boot viruses when shutting down so I unchecked the box but I still hear drive A being accessed.

2K Posts

October 30th, 2008 16:00

Did you try turning the drive off in BIOS?  Inconvenience, when you need to use it, but readily reversible.

10 Posts

I guess  I will have to turn it off in BIOS is this the same as pressing F2 when the Dell logo shows when I start the computer. I just replaced my motherboard battery and now know about F2.

I guess I can't just unplug the A drive from the mother board? 

2K Posts

Yes, drive options are under F2.  If you unplug without changing setting, #1 you will get an error message on every startup and #2 you will have to open the case if you ever want to use the drive.
No Events found!