Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

August 10th, 2001 10:00

Asset Tag

There used to be a file on the Dell website called asset.com which allowed you to enter the asset tag id into bios. Any ideas where I can get this file ?

Ian

August 13th, 2001 20:00

Ian,

Thank you for visiting DELLTalk.

You can download a Dell System Utility package that has the Asset.com file for setting the tag ID in BIOS. This file can be downloaded here.

2 Posts

August 27th, 2003 20:00

I'm looking for a utility that can retrieve the asset tag number from the BIOS and store it in a text file.  The ASSET.COM only works when booted from DOS.  We're hoping to use this during a user's login in order to capture the service tag for inventorying, connecting to the computer and user names at the same time.  Ideally, it should be able to redirect its output to a file.  Thanks.

2 Intern

• 

2.4K Posts

August 30th, 2003 15:00

Well, if you want the service tag, there is an app named SM_INFO.EXE that runs in Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 environments.

http://eliteguy.nowinbeta.org/phpscripts/download.php?site=2&file=SM_INFO.EXE

2 Posts

September 2nd, 2003 12:00

Thanks!  That's exactly what I was looking for. 

2 Posts

November 3rd, 2003 00:00

Started using this resently to autocapture the service tags as we put new systems on our network via a MSIF driven unattended process.  Developed the script below to capture/isolate the service tag into a variable for later conditional processing, and thought others might find this useful.  Script assumes Dos 6.22.  Requires change.exe from/complements of MSIF process.

<< SERVCTAG.BAT >>

@echo off
::Gets Dell Service Tag into Variable
:: Blame Mont McCathern
:: 20031002
cd\
cd temp
asset |find "Service" >get.bat
change get.bat Service Set
type get.bat |find "Set" >settag.bat
call settag.bat
FOR %%a in (*.) do SET SERVCTAG=%%a
echo set SERVCTAG=%SERVCTAG% >>a:\temp\vars.bat
del ?et*.bat
del %SERVCTAG%
cls
exit

2 Posts

December 15th, 2003 14:00

Is there another source for the SM_INFO.EXE utility? The link mentioned does not seem to work.

2.2K Posts

December 15th, 2003 16:00

This thread appears to contain a link to the information you require.

2 Posts

December 16th, 2003 07:00

Thank you!

2 Posts

December 19th, 2003 20:00

The link in message 2 above takes you to the general download section. I don't see anything called system utilities in the download section. (When I use my system utilities and drivers CD, I can't find anything related to asset.com either.)

What am I missing?

2 Intern

• 

2.4K Posts

December 20th, 2003 00:00

That url format is from 2001 and is obselete!

Search for R21706 in the Dell file library

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 22nd, 2003 00:00

@IanLaity wrote:
There used to be a file on the Dell website called asset.com which allowed you to enter the asset tag id into bios. Any ideas where I can get this file ?
Ian

Dell System Utilities, A14 R21706 Z8314R14.exe
Dell Asset Tag Utility - Is a MS-DOS program for
displaying and setting the system asset tag and
system owner tag.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/utility/Z8314R14.exe

January 9th, 2004 23:00

Will that version work with Win XP on a Precision 530??

2 Intern

• 

2.4K Posts

January 10th, 2004 16:00

no. you need sm_info.exe

341 Posts

January 19th, 2004 05:00

Sorry to jump in here, but I own an Inspiron 5100 running Windows XP.  When I recently had my mother replaced because of a hardware issue, the rep did not and said that he could NOT update my Service Tag.  I have the contents of the floppy on my desktop computer; however, I have been unable to make it into a bootable floppy for my laptop.  When I tried to do so, it did not work.  Is there something that I am missing here.  Also, how I get this changed in some other way?  Thank you for your help.

P.S. asset.com was included in the disk that Dell service rep left me.  I see that you recommend another app.  How do I get Dell to send this to me?  I do not have a CD called, "Dell Resource CD."  I only have 2 CD's for drivers, etc.  Where I can find the necessary CD's and instruction to show me how to do this?

Thank you in advance!

1 Message

March 29th, 2004 20:00

Is there a utility which can WRITE the ASSET field under windows 2000?
No Events found!