Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 16th, 2010 01:00

Audio drivers for my Dimension E310

I reinstalled Windows XP on my Dell Dimension E310 which is about five years old. There was no sound, so I downloaded Audio drivers from the Dell site.The STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio does not work. The drivers I have downloaded are R114566, R114282, and APOSRC4. Can anyone tell me what else I need to do to get sound. I have installed a PCI sound card which does not give me very good sound. Help !!!!!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 16th, 2010 04:00

Sounds like you skipped the Intel motherboard chipset drivers (an often skipped item) and they MUST be installed BEFORE installing the sound.  The chipset drivers are key to a successful install as one of the main things they do is define (identify) all the devices on the motherboard.

On an install the correct and required install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Dell Desktop System Software (on applicable models), (3) Install chipset drivers (4) Install device drivers including sound, video, ethernet, etc.

Usually, if the chipset drivers have been skipped you can install them, restart the PC and then install the sound drivers (in your case the SigmaTel drivers).  In a few isolated cases it will take a new and correct install sequence to get everything working.

We are just users on here and referring to the Dell driver "R" number doesn't help us without a lot of research, as they are not listed that way on the Dell downloads.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 18th, 2010 04:00

Yes to the Video and Ethernet drivers. 

However, since the chipset and sound drivers did not fix the sound problem it would appear the entire install may be the problem and a new correct sequence install may be needed to get things going. 

May 18th, 2010 04:00

I just reinstalled the chipset and audio driver. No result. Do I need to install the video and ethernet drivers too?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 18th, 2010 06:00

The chipset driver must be installed first.  There is no "correct" sequence for the other drivers.  I think Dell says install video then sound then other devices such as ethernet. 

THIS is the Dell install instructions.

HERE is the Dell downloads for the E310  the Intel Pro/100 ethernet drivers are listed in the Network section.  The Dell Drivers and Utilities disc that came with the PC has all of these on it.

May 18th, 2010 06:00

I could not locate the ethernet driver. Can you please tell me where to find it and also you have indicated I need to install them in the corret order. What is the correct order and how many drivers do I need. I have chipset, audio and seven video drivers so far.

1 Message

May 24th, 2014 20:00

I was looking into getting sound back on my Dell Dimension E310 and I ran across the advice you gave the person who was looking to do the same. You seemed very knowledgeable , however I am not. At least not when it comes to computers.

My situation is a bit different in that I bought the computer used from a repair shop in town  and the software did not come with it.  When I brought it home it was fine. I have had it several months. My daughter who fancies herself a genius was cleaning it up for me and uninstalled my sound.  I ran a diagnostic test on in. I have paid for a driver update service.(which I sorely resent) When I go to  sound device properties it reads that I do not have a device.  Where can I find the sound card or whatever it is called to reinstall?

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

May 25th, 2014 11:00

I assume you have a Windows XP system. This problem was more prone for Windows XP. Windows XP has reached End of Life and you should proceed with care if using the system online as Windows XP is vulnerable.

Install the Windows XP Sigmatel Driver:

http://ftp.dell.com/FOLDER96136M/2/R171789.exe

Driver identifier software usually doesn't work very well and consists of Malware. I advise uninstalling it. Be cautious with the programs your daughter used to clean up.

I advise performing a scan with Malwarebytes' Antimalware:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/software-maintenance/malwarebytes-antimalware/

Ultimately money would be better spent buying a Windows 7 32 Bit license than driver identifier programs and cleanup programs... The system needs to have at least 1 GB of RAM installed. Likely this system won't run Windows 8.1 32 Bit very well unless you upgrade the video card, see here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19487987/20283594.aspx

For instructions in installing Windows 7 see Windows Reinstallation Guide:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/

Use the following drivers:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/driver-sets/dimension-desktops/dimension-3100e310-windows-7-32-bit/

February 17th, 2015 20:00

I have an odd variant:  
    My Audacity (audio recording) program stopped being able to play files. The error message is:  “Error while opening sound device. Please check the playback device settings and the project sample rate.”
    The Device Volume part of the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties was grayed out.  
    HOWEVER, other sources of sound do play  (i.e., my speakers will play sound from CD’s and alert sounds from my email program etc.)  
    I tried to reinstall any drivers from my Dell Resource CD.   The Audio Driver is described as: “Sigmatel STAC92XX C-Major HD Audio Driver”.  (SigmaTel = same one you allude to).  BUT I have no idea whether this is the one that was missing;  and
    and, even though SigmaTel Audio then appeared in the Sound tab, Playback drop-down, (and I selected it as “default device”, and it then appeared in the Volume tab and not grayed out), Audacity continued to not make sound (and brought the same error message). 
    SO, I don’t know whether SigmaTel is the missing driver or missing playback device;  (if it wasn’t, then it’s not surprising that installing it wouldn’t solve the problem).  
     (Note:   My other computer [laptop] has “Realtek HD Audio” as its Sound Device.  I don’t remember whether that was the same one on my desktop.)

Note:   I have already:  – uninstalled and re-installed Audacity (no change). 
    Any ideas?  
    Jonathan

Note:  I have a Dell Dimension E310 desktop, with Windows XP SP3.

February 18th, 2015 15:00

Update:  

Now nothing is playing.  I.e., CD's no longer make a sound on my speakers.  :emotion-6:
(I noticed this after changing some settings in Audacity based on a suggestion on Audacity's forum, but that might not be the cause.)  Indeed, since there's no sound from any program, more likely something's wrong with the computer (device, or driver, . . .) not simply Audacity.

See my original comments, previous post.  Thanks,  J

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 20th, 2015 23:00

I'd suggest upgrading to a newer version of Windows, considering that support for XP has ended. I have 8.1 32-bit installed on my E310. 

No Events found!