Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2008 20:00

Blue screen of death Stop 0x000000A5

My Brothers Dell Dimension 2400 will not completely boot. Right after the first screen there's a blue screen with the following message: The Bios in this system is not fully ACPI compliant. Please contact your system vendor or visit http://www.hardware-update.com for an updated BIOS. If you are unable to obtain an updated BIOS or the latest supplied by your vendor is not ACPI compliant, you can turn off ACPI mode during text mode setup. To do this simply press the F7 key when you are prompted to install storage drivers. The systemwill not notify you that the F7 key was pressed it will silentlydisable ACPI and allow you to continue your installation. Technical information STOP: 0x000000A5 (0x00000011, 0x00000007, 0xF96DA0F1, 0x0100000D) What's the best way to tackle this dilemma?

12.7K Posts

January 28th, 2008 23:00

It is an error in the bios, nothing can be done at the OS level, the only thing I can suggest is a bios update.

Message Edited by mombodog on 01-28-2008 07:15 PM

16 Posts

January 29th, 2008 23:00

I downloaded the file as directed and put it on a floppy disc. I was reading the article that was instructions for the download and I'm under the impression that this would change my BIOS into version A05. The Bios is already that version shouldn't I not install this fix because of that fact? I followed the instructions on how to update the BIOS and it isn't working. The floppy drive runs but the software doesn't seem to run.Please advise.

12.7K Posts

January 29th, 2008 23:00

Ok, it is A05 already.

Try this.

Shut down the PC, unplug the power cord and hold the power button in for 15 seconds.

Open the case and remove the cmos battery for 15 Minutes (note the polarity of the battery before removal) Reinsert the battery after 15 Minutes, close the case and plug it in, then do the following before doing anything else. (replace cmos battery with a new one if it is older than 3 years)

Power up the PC

* Watch the keyboard lights. When they flash, tap the F2 key
* The message, Entering Setup should appear
* Press the [Caps Lock], [Scroll Lock] and the [Num Lock] keys to light up all three lights on the keyboard
* Press the [Alt] and keys at the same time
* The computer issues a beep
* The computer issues a beep
* Down arrow to Onboard or Integrated Devices [press Enter]
* Set everything to On except for USB Emulation which should be set for NO BOOT
* The BIOS saves settings and the computer restarts

See if it will boot now.

If it fails to boot with the same error as before, repeat the procedure again, this time leave the cmos battery out for 24 Hours.

12.7K Posts

February 5th, 2008 00:00

I think I would try an OS reinstall first.

16 Posts

February 5th, 2008 00:00

I'm sorry it's taken this long to get back to you. The last suggestions didn't change anything. On occaision it does boot and then everything seems okay but sooner or later the blue screen comes back and then I'm stuck in limbo again. From one of your earlier replies I guess I wouldn't be able to reinstall the o/s and change anything? I'm all ears what do you think? Is my only other option a motherboard?
Message Edited by newtech2140 on 02-04-2008 08:27 PM

9.4K Posts

February 6th, 2008 12:00

Newtech2140,

I would also suggest changing the battery on the motherboard.  If your present battery is starting to fail, the system may not be retaining all the BIOS settings at times.  This may account for the system booting Ok occasionally.  For a $3 investment, it is a cheap item to rule out as the cause. A new 3-Volt, CR2032, coin cell battery is available at any Radio Shack, computer stores and most discount stores like Wal-Mart.  You can click here <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>  for additional instructions on how to change the battery from your model's on-line Service Manual.

16 Posts

February 7th, 2008 01:00

I guess the appropriate question now is will this case hold a standard micro ATX mobo? Dell wants to sell all kinds of motherboards but I couldn't find where I could get an exact replacement for the original.
I installed a new o/s and the blue screen keeps coming back. I also replaced the battery even before I reinstalled windows. Do you know where I might find that information?

9.4K Posts

February 7th, 2008 12:00

Newtech2140,

I would suggest posting your question in the Dimension - Upgrade Hardware forum.  That would be a better venue in which to connect with those who are familiar with your system and how easily parts can be swapped out for off the shelf products or parts from another Dell model.

No Events found!