Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 11th, 2013 21:00

Can't get my Dell out of power save mode.

I have a Dell Dimension 4100 desktop. I realize it's not the newest computer in the world but it has been well maintained. totally cleaned 4 times by a pro tech. Also new install of XP 9 months ago. This computer is very important to me. I use it for online college classes. it runs like a champ. Never a problem. The other day it went in to power save mode and my monitor is black. I will explain everything below in hopes of finding someone to help me out. I know the basics of computer use but when it comes to fixing things I'm no computer whiz.

I turn it on. Sounds the same as it always did. Powers up. fan runs. Keyboard responds. Monitor remains black. Nothing wrong with the monitor. I tried it on another computer. Works fine. i also connected the tower to another monitor and it does the same.... screen is black. button on monitor remains yellow. If i press it goes green for a few seconds and back to yellow. If I press the setting buttons on the monitor the edges of screen light up and message comes on: In power save mode, press any button on keyboard or move mouse. I tried this. Nothing. i also tried to right and left click mouse. Nothing. Also tried to press F8 and F12 to go in to safe mode. Nothing. If I unplug the power cord for the monitor and plug it back in the Dell logo appears and the screen lights for a moment and then goes to the power safe mode and back to sleep with yellow button lighted. Dell says if you unplug the power cord to the tower and replug  it in that it will solve the issue. Not the case. I tried it several times. I have checked all cords and cables. Everything is attached. how do I get my computer out of power save mode? Please help me ASAP! I have an online class tomorrow evening and all my programs and files for school are in this computer so I would be so very thankful for some help! Everyone have a great day!

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

February 13th, 2013 08:00

Hello Martoon7, 

Thank you for replying and appreciate all your efforts in troubleshooting the issue. I would like to say that re-seating the video card can be tried. Please refer to the Service Manual to know more on how to remove the card. Once removed, clean and card and connect it back. Restart the computer and check the functionality. 

I would like to know how many ports are there on the video card. Please attach a picture if possible. 

Please write back, would be glad to assist you further.  

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

February 12th, 2013 08:00

Hello Martoon7, 

There are a couple of suggestions I would like to share. 

1. Try with a different video cable.  As we have come across multiple issues where faulty cables develop static and disconnect the monitor. 

2. When you cannot get a computer out of power save mode by any other means, typically the cause is that the button-cell-type battery of your computer, located on the motherboard, is empty. Usually, this happens on a computer which is a few years old since its batteries will have run out after such a long time. (The motherboard battery is used to store various settings when the computer power is off, such as date and time. When your computer detects this battery is empty, it goes into a low-power mode).  
Please refer to the article and perform the steps as mentioned.  

For detailed instructions on how to remove the battery for the specific system you may also see the Service Manual

**NOTE: Please ensure that all the external devices are disconnected from the computer before you open the chassis. Disconnect the power cable and then press and hold the power button for at least 15 seconds to remove the residual power. 

Please write back with results.

2 Posts

February 12th, 2013 13:00

Allan:

Thank you so much for your help. I tried a new video cable. No change. I removed the battery and replaced it with a new one that I purchased at a computer store. While I was at the computer store they tested the old battery and told me it was good. Someone at the store told me it could be the video card. What do you think. When i put the new battery in everything remains the same as i explained. Keyboard lights up and responds. Screen remains black except for power save mode message when I touch any button on the monitor. Power button remains yellow except when i press it. goes green for several seconds and then back to yellow. I would be thankful for and further ideas or advice you may have. have a great day.  Dale

1 Message

July 4th, 2013 17:00

My friend has a dell inspiron 530 with vista. It also ,as she was using it, came up and said entering powersave and went blank and beeped in 4 x intervals. We unplugged it for a while that didn't work I did control alt delete that didn't do it I pressed f12 that didn't help nothing we did helped it always just beeps in 4 times intervals that's it. What does anyone think we can do to get her computer back? Thank you

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

July 7th, 2013 06:00

Hello Sassboo,

4 Beep from an Inspiron 530 indicates Memory read/ write failure. However, in order to isolate the cause of failure, please try thefollowing steps: 

• Remove all the memory modules from the computer and check if any beeps are heard.
  • If you hear the beeps, it means that the motherboard is working fine.
  • Then try only one memory stick at one time, in each slot. Example: Take one memory stick, insert it into the first slot, and check if the computer boots to windows. Then try the same memory stick in second slot and follow the same pattern until you test all the memory in all slots.
  • This would tell us if the issue is with mother board or memory.
Please try the steps and write back with results. 

2 Posts

April 11th, 2014 17:00

I have a similar problem and have been all over the place looking for, what seems to be, a common problem. This page says "problem answered". I would like to know where this problem was answered, which post answered it, because it hasn't been answered. All the suggestions, genuine as they tried to be, are clearly nothing to do with it. I know,  tried them, they don't work. Does anybody have any proven suggestions please, thanks. 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 12th, 2014 05:00

Hi chazzz1,

Please describe the problem you have, the model of your Dell desktop and your operating system.

2 Posts

April 23rd, 2014 23:00

Hi osprey4,
Sorry for the lateness of my reply, i was away on holiday. The Dell desktop is an Inspiron 530 with XP Home Edition, SP3. The problem was, as discribed by others, if you went away from the computer for awhile, it would have gone into power save mode. Sometimes it would happen when i booted up and tended to be intermittent. However I put in another video card and, to this point, seems to have worked. It appears the video card was shot. Thanks for the reply, sorry i wasted your time.

chazzz1

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 24th, 2014 17:00

Hi Chazzz1,

Excellent! Glad to hear it was just the video card. 

No Events found!