Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

May 23rd, 2005 15:00

Computer boots and then shuts down

In my office we have two Dell computers.  This morning the computer that my bookkeeper uses would not work properly.  When the computer is turned on, it boots-up normally and finishes by showing the desktop with all of its icons.  Then it simple shuts down.  It turns itself off completely.

It have disconected the DSL cable and it boots and shuts down.  I have booted in SAFE mode and it boots and shuts down.  The fan is running and it is blowing air our the back. 

This is a Demension 2300 which is 2-3 years old.  Any suggestions on a fix?

265 Posts

May 23rd, 2005 16:00

@FishMA wrote:
In my office we have two Dell computers.  This morning the computer that my bookkeeper uses would not work properly.  When the computer is turned on, it boots-up normally and finishes by showing the desktop with all of its icons.  Then it simple shuts down.  It turns itself off completely.

It have disconected the DSL cable and it boots and shuts down.  I have booted in SAFE mode and it boots and shuts down.  The fan is running and it is blowing air our the back. 

This is a Demension 2300 which is 2-3 years old.  Any suggestions on a fix?

at anytime does the power button LED turn to a blinking amber because this sounds like a PSU problem.

Message Edited by greenleep on 05-23-2005 12:23 PM

1.9K Posts

May 23rd, 2005 16:00

I agree that it sounds power-related.  Have you tried plugging it directly to the wall (temp. disconnecting any UPS/surge devices)?

If the symptom continues, it's likely the power supply....

No Events found!