EC

August 29th, 2007 17:00

DELL Dimension E510 won't start. Lights 3 and 4 on

Hi everybody,
I am in big trouble and need help.

First of all this is my configuration :
Dell Dimension E510
Pentium D Processor820 dual core
1Gb mem (2x512M) at the origine, before the problem (now 2x1Gb)
Bios A04

3 days ago during normal using my PC went down. Nothing, nothing nothing on the screen but no main power Pb, just went done.
When I powered it on again, the green lights 3 and 4 still on nothing else.
I read the troubleshooting and saw :Pb of memory. I tried what they advise to do and decided to buy (from Dell site) 2x 1Gb.
I tried yesterday and I could have only the BIOS which started to download (1/5 approximately) and then I got lights 1 and 4on.
I re-started the PC and I got again 3 and 4 on.
I decided today to clean contacts, mix the two 1Gb mem and change the BIOS lithium battery.
Same scenario : the first start I got 1 and 4 on and the BIOS was loading for 1/5 and stopped, I re-started the PC and now I still have lights 3 and 4on. I am coming back to the original issue.
Is there someone who could help me fixing this issue?
If it can be a pb with the BIOS (mine is A04 and the latest one is A07), how can I download the new BIOS on my PC which is down?

Thanks for your help.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 29th, 2007 18:00

There is no listing in the manual for 1 and 4, however 1 still points to memory. 

Normally the first set of memory modules go in slots 1 and 3.  However, have you tried slots 2 and 4? or have you tried one memory module as the manual suggests? 

The BIOS (PROM) must load into memory to work/display thus another point to memory. 

In moving memory around, installing, uninstalling, make sure the memory modules you now have installed are fully and correctly seated.  Also, make sure all other cables are also fully seated in the motherboard in case one was accidentally moved.

3 Posts

August 30th, 2007 00:00

Thanks, I'm going to try what you suggest and let you know.

3 Posts

September 2nd, 2007 13:00

After trying all positions of the now four memory sticks I have (2x512M and 2x1G) I still have my two original issues:
I still have (when my computer is cold after one night or 1 day without any memory try) the two lights 1 and 4 and the screen shows me the start of the Bios and then stops.
When I try to make a position change just after that I go back to the second issue : lights 3 and 4 right at the beginning of the power on.
Seems to be a contact issue with the memory modules connectors, what do you think?
If it's the case, is someone has the part number from DELL for my motherboard?
Dimension E510
Pentium D Processor 820 with Dual Core Technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB)

Any idea?
Thanks in advance

Eric

3 Posts

June 22nd, 2011 15:00

Has anybody out there found a solution to this problem?  I've had my E510 for six years now.  Replaced the PSU a few years back when it went out and this identical problem just came up.  

I put in 4 new-to-me sticks of RAM, basically 2 matched pairs of 2x1GB for a total of 4GB and they have been working just fine for two months now.... until I started getting the 1 and 4 diagnostic lights with the boot screen coming up at about 10% on the bar.  Just today, the 3 and 4 lights came on with the drive/disk icon lit up as well.

Everything I've read in the forums points to the motherboard.  Is there a way to test it without pulling the mobo?

Any help would be appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 23rd, 2011 04:00

The only sure way to "test" the motherboard is to replace it with a known good one.  Where is it failing?  At POST (Power On Self Test) or when it's trying to load Windows?  If it's at the POST then there is no way to test anything.  If it's failing when loading Windows then you can run the Dell diagnostics (F12 at POST to access the diagnostics) and see if anything turns up.

3 Posts

June 23rd, 2011 13:00

Thanks for the response fireberd.

It has been failing at POST, I was able however on one attempt last night to boot up Windows XP,  I ran the Dell Diagnostic test at F12 but it seems to only allow the option of diagnosing the hard drives not the entire system.

I was able to look through Device manager in the Control Panel and nothing showed up with yellow flags there.

System ran for about half an hour before blue screen crash with NAVEX15.sys showed up.

I was able to run a diagnostic scan with Norton Antivirus 360 and nothing showed up as faulty.

Also ran a scan of memory sticks and processor with a program called Hot CPU Tester  hot-cpu-tester.en.softonic.com which showed everything working normally.

This morning, tried booting up and I can only get to the Dell boot up screen showing the BIOS status bar stuck at 10% once again with the 3 and 4 diagnostic lights on.

I don't have access to a "good" motherboard right now, I'm looking however at option of buying a matching cheap used motherboard off Craigslist or ebay to get me by for now, or just outright purchasing a new computer instead of getting nickel and dimed to death with a five year old computer that is bound to die soon anyway.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 24th, 2011 04:00

The E510 is a BTX style - most motherboards are ATX and will not fit/work.  Also, you need another 5150/E510 motherboard due to the Dell proprietary (and undocumented) front panel connection (which can vary from model to model).  If the one on Craigslist is for this model then it will fit (whether it's really good or not is another issue coming from Craigs list).

3 Posts

June 27th, 2011 19:00

A little update here... I removed all four sticks of RAM and then powered up the system....it gave me that beeping noise so I assumed the mobo was not the only culprit here.  I then proceeded to boot up with one stick at a time.  

Was able through the process of elimination to detect one faulty stick of RAM out of the four.  

When that one stick was added the BIOS screen would show up and the meter would not progress beyond about 90% when it was added with other good sticks of RAM.

For now at least, the system is up and running.  I'm still unsure of why I was getting 1 and 4 lit up before and then 3 and 4 after a few days of unsuccessful efforts.

Plan for now is to save up and replace this aging beast as soon as possible.

Thanks again for the helpful feedback.

1 Message

November 10th, 2011 02:00

I work on pcs and macs for fun and I ran into the same problem you have on one of my church members pc. After hours of looking for solutions and nothing solving the problem, I removed the 1st and 2nd ram slots and it booted right up. I believe an upgrade of ram was made with an increase higher than the motherboard could handle. It had been working with 2048 but ceased to function until it was using 1024 again. I hope this helps 

No Events found!