Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 3rd, 2012 18:00

DIMENSION E521

DIMENSION E521- problem at startap. I have mesage  keyboard faulire, so I can not run a computer. I am changed keyboard But I still have the same message

41 Posts

November 4th, 2012 00:00

Connect the keyboard in the front of the computer and check if it works and wanted to check if the mouse works on the computer.

If yes, then connect the keyboard same USB port where mouse was connected.

If no, then it might be Motherboard problem and needs a replacement.

Contact Dell Support if the computer is in warranty they should be able to replace it.

4 Operator

• 

2.2K Posts

November 4th, 2012 00:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community.

It seems that the keyboard is not detected by the system, I would recommend you to follow the steps below that should fix the issue:

1. Remove all USB devices from the system except the Keyboard and also the power cables from the tower.

2. Hold the Power Button down for 10 seconds to drain the residual power from the computer.

3.Reseat the power cable and Restart the system and press F2 to get in to the bios and check if you are able to get in to the BIOS.

In case it takes you to the BIOS screen :

Restore the BIOS to defaults by selecting Maintenance > Load Defaults.

Restart the system and check if all the keys are working on the keyboard.

On the other hand if it does not take you to the BIOS Screen I would suggest you to check the USB port for damage:

If USB Port seems to be damaged, then connect the keyboard in a different USB port.

If the Keyboard works in a different USB Port, then other USB port has gone bad. If the Keyboard does not work in a different USB port, then motherboard needs replacement as you have mentioned that you have already tried to connect a good known keyboard to the system and it also did not work.

You can also follow Del Article 122448 if no USB Device is getting detected by clicking the link mentioned below:

http://dell.to/VKMB9Z

In case keyboard is the only device not working, follow the Dell Article 277550 by clicking the link mentioned below:

http://dell.to/UszskV

Please reply for further assistance.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 4th, 2012 10:00

I have a problem like that with the 2350; the keyboard socket is worn and some keyboard connectors don't make proper contact.

4 Posts

November 9th, 2012 11:00

Can I upgrade the BIOS to not use the keyboard on your computer

No Events found!