Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2013 00:00

Dell 540 won't start after power outage due to storm

My dell studio 540 desktop computer fails to respond when I press the power button. There is no response from the fan, the harddrive, or the LED indicator on the power button. The only thing that suggests that the machine is receiving power is the PSU light on the back of the tower, which is a solid green. The computer is a little over 4 years old. Typically I'd replace a computer like this, given its age, but I lack the money to do so at this time.

I've been reading threads about users with similar problems similar problems. As per the instructions in many threads, I have successfully run the "paperclip test," which indicated that my PSU isn't totally fried. I also removed all PCI cards and peripherals and attempted a reboot, with no success (no beeping, error messages, lights, etc). Finally, I reset the CMOS first using the jumper, and afterwards by replacing the battery. Again, no luck. Based on what I've read, it seems like this is most likely a PSU issue. That said, I plan on buying a PSU in the near future. In the meantime, I'd like to investigate the viabability of some other solutions I've come across, namely this one (last post on the page) and this one (last post on the page).

Both suggest that manually starting the PSU and HDD before pressing the power button will allow the computer to boot. Before I make an attempt at replicating this solution, though, I'm curious to find out what some more knowledgable dell owners might have to say about it

Thanks in advance,
Origincakes

Note: I have a powerbar with surge protection which may or may not have been turned on during the storm.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 18th, 2013 12:00

Origincakes

Assuming that you have the 540 mini tower and not the 540s compact Slimline version.

Try Removing the power cord, disconnect all the peripherals, except for the monitor, mouse and keyboard. Hold the power button in, for one+ minute to release any residue power from the motherboard. Reconnect the power cord to a different outlet without the surge protector and power the 540 on and see if this makes a difference.

The Studio 540 Troubleshooter is HERE

As the power button LED is not lite and no beeps, it could be a possible power supply, or motherboard issue.

The only 100% method of testing a power supply, is to install a known working unit and this would cost less than a motherboard, suggest that the power supply is the first part to be replaced.

Most generic standard ATX power supply units, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: You require a power supply with four SATA power connectors.

Bev.

No Events found!