Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 27th, 2011 20:00

Dell Inspiron 530 Won't Turn On

The warranty is already expired.

My Dell Inspiron 530 barely ever turns off, but I never had problems like this before. I can't turn it on, pressing the power button won't even make the fans budge. When I plug in the power cord to the minitower, the light beside it turns green, indicating that it's successfully connected. When I open the whole thing up, there is a small and unnoticeable-from-the-outside yellow light on some chip thing that shines as well. Nothing happens upon pressing the power button though.

One thing though, I do think I did something bad to cause this problem, I was moving my computer area and I was too lazy to turn off the computer via start -> turn off computer. Instead, I directly went to the power outlet and turned it off and unplugged it, without logging off or anything.

I didn't think this would cause a problem since I've had power outtages before, but this time I can't turn it back on. I checked the wires and everything LOOKS good, but I have no knowledge of computers outside of graphics cards installation, so I can't say for sure.

Any advice? And, if I have to get this fixed, how much do you think it would cost?

5 Posts

May 27th, 2011 22:00

The power button does not light up at all. When I press it, it acts as if the whole CPU wasn't even plugged in, even though it is

5 Posts

May 30th, 2012 09:00

SOLUTION: Returned Athena Power, Hercules 300W that is "ideal for HP and Dell power supply replacement" and purchased Antec 380W EA380D Green.  It works great.  I think it came down to lack of SATA connection (I missed one for DVD drive).  

Install was simple...only downside was the number of cables...lots of cables to manage for this box.  I put most of the extras in the spare CD drive slot...if yours is used, it'll be a tight fit.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 11th, 2012 11:00

mw3538

Sounds like a failed power supply, that would be the first part I would replace.

Assuming that you have a Inspiron 530 Mini Tower and not the 530s Slimline version.

If you are comfortable working around computers, try the following:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system, if power supply's fan and the hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all PCI cards from the system, take out the video card [if applicable], disconnect all peripherals and the power & data cables from all drives. 
Reconnect the power cord and power system on, see if you get a different LED indication on the power button, or 'Beeps'.

No difference, remove the memory from the system and try again.

Still shows no signs of life then you are looking at a motherboard replacement & maybe a processor.  Note: the processor rarely fails.

Note: The only method I know of checking a checking a processor, is to install it a compatible working PC, or use a known working processor.

Most generic standard ATX power supply units can be installed in the Inspiron 530 Mini Tower, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch. You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store. Note: A power supply with four SATA power connectors, is required.

The power supply replacement procedure is HERE

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Check out the Corsair and Antec lines of power supplies.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 27th, 2011 21:00

aooi

Is the power button LED, Steady Blue, Blinking Blue, Steady Amber, Blinking Amber?

Are there any 'Beeps', or error messages, if there are, please post the exact text of the message?

Has any changes been made to the 530 recently?

The Inspiron 530 Troubleshooter and Diagnostic Codes are HERE.

Sorry, I have no idea, what the cost of fixing your Inspiron 530 would be.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 27th, 2011 22:00

aooi

Try connecting the power cord directly into a different outlet, without the surge protector and see if this makes a difference.

No diference, try replacing the power supply.

Do you have the 530 Mini Tower, or a 530s Slimline desktop?

If it's a Mini Tower, then most generic standard ATX power supply units can be installed, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: A power supply with four SATA power connectors, is required.

The power supply replacement procedure is HERE

Bev.

May 27th, 2011 23:00

A bit confusing, in your post you wrote all you did was relocate your computer and failed to use start and turn off computer from start menu Quote" I directly went to the (power outlet and turned it off and unplugged it, without logging off or anything.") Is there a switch on the back of the power supply (like a toggle) as some power supplies do have one, that you may have turned off? If it does... are you certain it is now in the on position? I suggest you start there and see if toggling it to one side or the other will restore the power, then check the monitor power and even if the computer power has not been restored, the monitor can be turned on and usually will say "NO SIGNAL" until the computer is powered up. How this has anything to do with connections inside the case is not clear. Unless you opened the case to begin troubleshooting and then diconnected wiring. . .  moving the computer would not have disconnected any wiring inside the case. The L.E.D. lights you are seeing inside the case is normal but if the toggle switch is in the wrong position then the power button will not power up the computer even if you are seeing L.E.D.s inside that are on. For example the NIC card, some network interface cards have an L.E.D. and can power up your computer at preset times to update via Windows Update, by default this usually occurs at 3AM. It will also power down the computer when the Windows Updates are completed. If you have disconnected any wiring inside the case very carefully reconnect those wires and start troubleshooting from the outside of the case. I place great emphasis on carefully reconnecting wiring as some connectors have a clip type release that are made of plastic that can easily be broken if not properly released when you remove them. Not powering down the computer from the start menu will not keep your computer from powering up, however it can cause you to eventually get a screen that says the system was not powered down correctly, then it will give you some options to choose from, I suggest you give it enough time to reach that screen and also make certain the monitor is powering up and is connected to the computer via the VGA cable. If . . .and when you reach that screen, then you can choose to power up using the (last known good configuration) or (start Windows normally.) If you have further information on what your seeing please post it.

TalesFromTopographicalOceans

5 Posts

May 28th, 2011 07:00

No, I do not have a toggle for the computer. The computer was running and I unplugged it directly, so I think the power something was fried..

2 Posts

June 18th, 2011 17:00

I am having the exact same symptoms with TWO identical inspiron 530 desktop units. Both were powered down correctly and will not boot. I have green light on back and amber light on mother board. I have tested the power cords, as well as used multiple power outlets.

One day they were both fine and now both dead. One was shut down 24 hours prior to the other and neither will start now. No light or response from front button.

One performed a windows update prior to shut down, but appeared to complete normally and then turn off.

2 Posts

June 28th, 2011 22:00

As was palders' situation, I installed Windows updates on the Inspiron 530 today, allowed it to restart during the process, then clicked Start, Shutdown and the PC turned off.  A couple of hours later, I attempted to turn the PC on.  The only lights on the PC are the green light in the rear and the amber light inside. Pressing the power button does nothing.  There are no beeps, no fans - no activity whatever.

2 Posts

June 28th, 2011 22:00

In the end it was the power supply. So for $40 each I replaced the power supply in two identical systems that were plugged in 45 miles apart and then failed at 1 single location. Very odd situation?

1 Message

July 4th, 2011 14:00

Hi Emigrator,

I exactly have the same problem. Afther accepting to shut down for Update it won't go off, so I forced it by hard reset (after 10 hours or so). Directly try to turn on the computer, but no reaction at all. Already cleaned the whole system and puts out everything. Don't know what to do, are you further on with it already ?/

Hanson

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 7th, 2011 19:00

Emigrator

:emotion-21:

Bev.

2 Posts

July 7th, 2011 19:00

I ordered a replacement power supply, Dell Power Supply Inspiron 530 531 XW599 XW600 XW601, for $25 with free shipping from Red Planet Trading, removed the HIPRO CN-OYX446-42940-86B-4267, installed the used item this evening and all is well!

1 Message

October 22nd, 2011 06:00

THANK YOU Emigrator!! This worked perfectly! My computer is running again!

February 13th, 2012 06:00

Correction to my post...

Fans shift slightly, but never actually begin to spin.

Will

No Events found!