Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 21st, 2010 18:00

Dell XPS 420 1-3-4 error code.

My computer a couple days ago wouldn't boot up and go to the Dell Splash screen and got a 1-3-4 diagnostic code.  I only bought a 1 year warranty and that expired (I know foolish) and they recommended purchasing replacement sticks of memory.  I got the sticks today and replaced the memory and am still getting the error.  It powers up fine but I'm guessing the system board is shot?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 22nd, 2010 07:00

My computer a couple days ago wouldn't boot up and go to the Dell Splash screen and got a 1-3-4 diagnostic code.  I only bought a 1 year warranty and that expired (I know foolish) and they recommended purchasing replacement sticks of memory.  I got the sticks today and replaced the memory and am still getting the error.  It powers up fine but I'm guessing the system board is shot?

Memory must be done in Pairs and or Must be Exactly the same Size.

Take out all Ram and Test 1 piece at a time in slot 1.

Documentation

Diagnostic Lights.

ight Pattern 

Problem Description

Suggested Resolution

The computer is in a normal off condition or a possible pre-BIOS failure has occurred.

The diagnostic lights are not lit after the system successfully boots to the operating system.

• Plug the computer into a working electrical outlet (see Power Problems).
  • If the problem persists, contact Dell (see Contacting Dell <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>).

A possible processor failure has occurred.

• Reseat the processor (see Processor).

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

• If the problem persists, contact Dell (see Contacting Dell <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>).

Memory modules are detected, but a memory failure has occurred.

• If two or more memory modules are installed, remove the modules (see Removing Memory)<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>
    , then reinstall one module (see Installing Memory)<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>
    and restart the computer. If the computer starts normally, continue to install additional memory modules (one at a time) until you have identified a faulty module or reinstalled all modules without error.
  • If available, install working memory of the same type into your computer (see Installing Memory).<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>
  • If the problem persists, contact Dell (see Contacting Dell <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>).

A possible graphics card failure has occurred.

• Reseat any installed graphics cards (see Cards).<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>
  • If available, install a working graphics card into your computer.
  • If the problem persists, contact Dell (see Contacting Dell <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> ).

A possible floppy drive or hard drive failure has occurred.

Reseat all power and data cables.

A possible USB failure has occurred.

Reinstall all USB devices and check all cable connections.

No memory modules are detected.

• If two or more memory modules are installed, remove the modules (see Removing Memory),<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>
    then reinstall one module (see Installing Memory)<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>
    and restart the computer. If the computer starts normally, continue to install additional memory modules (one at a time) until you have identified a faulty module or reinstalled all modules without error.
  • If available, install working memory of the same type into your computer (see Installing Memory).<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>
  • If the problem persists, contact Dell (see Contacting Dell <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> ).

Memory modules are detected, but a memory configuration or compatibility error has occurred.

• Ensure that no special requirements for memory module/connector placement exist (see Memory).

• Ensure that the memory you are using is supported by your computer (see Memory).

A possible expansion card failure has occurred.

1. Determine if a conflict exists by removing an expansion card (not a graphics card) and restarting the computer (see Removing a PCI Card

and Removing a PCI Express Card).

2. If the problem persists, reinstall the card you removed, then remove a different card and restart the computer.
  3. Repeat this process for each expansion card installed. If the computer starts normally, troubleshoot the last card removed from the computer for resource conflicts (see Troubleshooting Software and Hardware Problems in the Microsoft Windows Vista™ Operating System).
  4. If the problem persists, contact Dell (see Contacting Dell <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> ).

Another failure has occurred.

• Ensure that all hard drive and optical drive cables are properly connected to the system board (see System Board Components).

• If there is an error message on the screen identifying a problem with a device (such as the floppy drive or hard drive), check the device to make sure it is functioning properly.
  • If the operating system is attempting to boot from a device (such as the floppy drive or optical drive), check system setup (see System Setup)

to ensure the boot sequence is correct for the devices installed on your computer.

Beep Codes

Your computer might emit a series of beeps during start-up if the monitor cannot display errors or problems. This series of beeps, called a beep code, identifies a problem. For example, beep code 1-3-1 (one possible beep code) consists of one beep, a burst of three beeps, and then one beep. This beep code tells you that the computer encountered a memory problem.

Reseating the memory modules may correct the following beep code errors. If the problem persists, contact Dell (see Contacting Dell <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> ) for instructions on obtaining technical assistance.

Code

Cause

1-3-1 through 2-4-4

Memory not being properly identified or used

4-3-1

Memory failure above address 0FFFFh

51 Posts

October 25th, 2010 06:00

I had that diagnostic code recently and it turned out to be the graphics card. I had an Nvida 8800gt installed and it had died. Are you running the same/similar card? If so remove the cards separate power supply and see if the PC then boots up, or at least gets further than it does at the moment.

I replaced it with a GTS450 and all is well.

No Events found!