Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

February 12th, 2016 09:00

Dell XPS 8900 BIOS Update 2.1.3 discussion

I just got a notificaiton on my Dell XPS 8900 that there is a new BIOS update.

I am currently on 2.1.0 dated 2015 12 11.  The new one is 2.1.3 dated 2016 02 05.

Fixes & Enhancements

Enhancements
- Improved system stability for virtual machine environment
- Improved system stability for long Media playback.
- Updated Dell Diagnostic to 4302.15 
http://www.dell.com/support/home/US/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=Y9V39
Everything is working fine right now.  I was wondering if you recommend upgrading.  Also you can use this thread to discuss your experiences in upgrading to this new BIOS.
Thanks

February 12th, 2016 10:00

I went ahead and installed this update because this is such a new model I figured it is worth upgrading the BIOS the first few revisions they release. The upgrade went smooth and it is working fine for me now.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 12th, 2016 10:00

Just read and carefully follow the instructions for the flash update.

If you run the update in Windows, be sure to disable your anti-viral software first. And make sure it's re-enabled after the flash is done.

27 Posts

February 12th, 2016 16:00

I downloaded and ran the installer.  Computer rebooted and flashed the BIOS ok.  After a few minutes it showed the green successful message and rebooted.

However, the computer would not power on properly after that!  It would act like it was going to power on, but nothing would ever appear on the screen, nor would my keyboard light up like it normally does when the USB devices are initialized during POST.

After about 10 seconds, the power light would turn amber for about a bit, then the system would turn off.  After a few seconds it would turn back on and repeat this process.  After about 5 cycles of this, I decided to pull the power cable.  Plugged it back in and then the computer started up ok after that.  Very odd.

91 Posts

February 12th, 2016 16:00

I just updated the BIOS in my XPS 8900. No issues and nothing unusual so far.

Phil

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 12th, 2016 17:00

I decided to pull the power cable.  Plugged it back in and then the computer started up ok after that.

It just needed to discharge residual power from motherboard and PSU. Everything should be ok now.

24 Posts

February 12th, 2016 18:00

I went head with the upgrade and had no issues.

February 12th, 2016 18:00

After about 10 seconds, the power light would turn amber for about a bit, then the system would turn off.  After a few seconds it would turn back on and repeat this process.

Mine did this as well although after about 4 or 5 power cycles (I didn't count) it went ahead and started up on its own. At first I thought that the BIOS update had failed and I had a brick on my hands!

27 Posts

February 13th, 2016 08:00

Mine did this as well although after about 4 or 5 power cycles (I didn't count) it went ahead and started up on its own. At first I thought that the BIOS update had failed and I had a brick on my hands!

That's what I was afraid of as well!  I've never experienced that when flashing any Dell systems before.

4 Posts

February 13th, 2016 23:00

I'm having several issues that have happened after installing updated bios. 

1.  Sometimes after computer has been asleep..(manually putting computer to sleep) the mouse will not work and I have to move to another USB Port.

2.  Computer will no longer go into automatic sleep mode when you set if for a time, however screen time out works fine.  Computer goes into a semi-automatic power save and not sleep.  All this has happened after bios update.

February 14th, 2016 09:00

I don't use sleep on my PC so can't verify your issue. 

Have you tried turning off sleep, rebooting, and then re-enabling it? Maybe it just needs to be reset in Windows after the BIOS upgrade.

1 Message

February 14th, 2016 19:00

I have had the same frustrating experience, except that no amount of rebooting helps. I'm resetting the PC, which is taking forever.

4 Posts

February 15th, 2016 10:00

A few problems after I updated Bios mode.  See my postings about computer sleep mode.  Thanks

Ronsfo

4 Posts

February 15th, 2016 10:00

Dell has actually fixed the sleep mode to turn on after I preset a time for sleep mode when the computer is idle.  It was a conflict with my audio driver. Really??? Who would have thought that one!  These things are getting too complicated to make any sense.  Updated the audio driver for my model and sleep mode works fine. 

However, 2nd issue is not fixed!  Mouse does not work after computer wakes up!  I have to uninstall the USB plug and re-plug it back into the computer to work.  Lets see if the Dell techies can figure out that one!  Anybody have suggestions for mouse to wake up after sleep mode?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 15th, 2016 18:00

Mouse does not work after computer wakes up! 

Have you gone into Device Manager and changed the Power Management tab settings for each of your USB root hubs, by unchecking the box to "Allow PC to turn off..." on those tabs?

Have you also gone to the Advanced settings options in your Windows Power plan and disabled Selective Suspend for USB?

4 Posts

February 15th, 2016 19:00

Settings all look correct.

No Events found!