Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 26th, 2004 14:00

Dim 2350 Power Issues

Hi, I have a Dimension 2350 that will not power up.  The power supply has been replaced twice, so I don't believe that is the problem any longer.  I don't think it ever completes the POST because  I never hear the beep.  It does get to where it is about to start Windows and then just dies.  Suggestions have been that the Motherboard may need to be replaced.  However, the system is out of warranty, as it was purchased in December of 02.  Could someone please shine some light on this.  Thanks.

21 Posts

July 26th, 2004 15:00

If the PS have been replaced twice, its not the PS thats causing the problem.  For shutdown problems, there are certain possibilities.  One, it can be the fans on your CPU, if it fails it would continually restart.  In 2350s, its common that the retention module breaks.  Second, CPU itself could be causing it to shutdown, try to run diagnostics by pressing F12 and run boot to utility partition to run diagnostics.  Third, since you can see something on the screen, it can be windows itself that keeps on shutting down.  Try to perform an OS reinstallation if none of your hardware fails on the diagnostics.  Hope this helps.

3 Posts

July 26th, 2004 16:00

Hi,  I started having the same problem on Saturday Morning.  I have ruled out a software issue because I removed the hard drive to try another one.  I also removed the CMOS battery and replaced it.   That also did not resolve the problem.  Tonight, I will be trying to update the Flash Bios and if that doesn't work, I will call Dell.  Like you, I bought my computer about 17 months ago so I am 5 months over the warranty.  Still, I would think that if it is the motherboard, Dell would back up their product.  It is interesting that we are having the same problem at the same time.

6 Posts

I also removed the CMOS battery, which cleared out the BIOS to Version 00.  HOwever, now when I try to flash the BIOS with the latest version, the power dies during the flash.  ????????????

6 Posts

No, I have not called Dell yet, I will do that this afternoon.  I did download the flash to a disk, and it did boot to that disk.  But, while the program was running, and it tells you not to turn the computer off, it shuts off on it's own

21 Posts

Thats the retention module, the black plastic that holds the heatsink.  And Im pretty sure thats the reason why its shutting down. Try to contact tech support if you can get a part number for just the retention module so that you dont have to buy the whole mobo

3 Posts

You know, I had a metal clip fall out of the green processor housing as well.  I think it broke out of a plastic clip.  I wonder if that is the problem.  Have you called Dell Support?  I am at work so cannot.

Did you download the flash update to disk and boot from that disk???

6 Posts

One of the clip on the side of the processor does not go on because the plastic piece it clips to is broke off.  But, it seems like the heat sink sits on level.  Is that what you meant by the retention module?  I will try the utilities.  Thanks

3 Posts

July 26th, 2004 18:00

Just to let you know, I called Dell about an hour ago when I got home and discovered that the black plastic retention module is indeed broken on my computer.  After a stint with tech support (who told me my warranty was up and I needed to buy this $4.95 part) I was told by sales that they do not have the part in stock.  I am waiting for them to call back with a solution.  If this is your problem... I wanted you to know what you are up against.

6 Posts

July 26th, 2004 19:00

Well, you did better than me.  I got an e-mail back from Tech support that said I should reinstall XP.  What a brilliant idea, except for the fact that I do not have power long enough to even enter the BIOS.

July 26th, 2004 22:00

Best thing to do would start swapping out parts if any avalible. Make sure all expansion cards are out. (Esp modem). No power can be motherboard problems. If their is a voltage selector make sure to toggle it back and fourth. When system is unplugged.I would lean towards the motherboard. And check for flea light on motherboard.

6 Posts

July 27th, 2004 12:00

Thanks for the help, most of that has been tried already.  A Dell tech e-mailed me back and thinks it's the motherboard but they cannot replace it because it's out of warranty.  Now I'll be battling returning the power supply they suggested which is not the problem and exchanging it for the motherboard.

34 Posts

July 22nd, 2008 02:00

I have been having the same issues with my Dimension 2350 shutting itself off, but this was after installing a new hard drive DELL told me was compatible, but wasn't. Before the installation of the new hard drive my computer was running very slowly and DELL assured me this would speed it up. Other than running slow it is a great computer and now I have this issue. I put the new one back in a returned the one I purchased back to DELL for a refund. It is still shutting itself off with the old hard drive in it.

Any solutions on how to stop this would be greatly appreciated. Other than shutting itself down every 10 seconds, when I try rebooting it I get an error message, the keyboard had an error or was not detected. The only way it seems to stay on is when I tap the F2 key and haveit in what DELL calls bios mode.

No Events found!