Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

March 30th, 2004 23:00

Dimension 4550 won't power up.

As the subject says, my Dimension 4550 doesn't power up anymore. There is no activity whatsoever when I press the power button -- no external LEDs light up, no fans start spinning, nothing. In fact, the only thing lit up while the unit is plugged in is the little LED by the main power connector. The manual calls this "standby power light CR4G1". This light doesn't blink or change colour, it stays a steady green. I have already tested the power supply and verified that it's still functional. I must conclude that my system is somehow stuck in some standby mode (unless I'm misinterpreting the purpose of CR4G1). So my question is, is there a way for me to get it un-stuck?

I have already tried a number of the suggestions I've found by searching the forums -- re-seating every peripheral, unplugging all drives, holding the power button in for a minute or so, flipping the voltage selector switch to 230V and back to 115V (with the unit unplugged, of course) -- to no avail. Does anyone else have any other suggestions I might try?

Regards,
Trevor

March 31st, 2004 00:00

Thanks chuket. I gave it a try, but my computer is far more stubborn than I am. I'll try again later tonight.

Regards,
Trevor

1.4K Posts

March 31st, 2004 00:00

TrevorHamm

I started having the same problem with my XPST a couple of years ago. You may have to press the start button and hold in several times to get it to boot. Pressing once and holding it in won't work (unless you get lucky the first time). Keep trying the press and press again until it starts. If it does, I would set the BIOS settings (AC power) from 'last state' to 'on' and use a power strip to power on the unit.

March 31st, 2004 03:00

Hmmm....the problem seems to have fixed itself :-\

I came home from my swim workout to find my optical mouse all aglow, and everything functioning normally. It just turned itself on while I was away. I changed the AC Power Recovery option to "On" like you suggested. Hopefully that will provide me with an emergency power-on switch when this happens to me again.

Regards,
Trevor

1.4K Posts

March 31st, 2004 03:00

TrevorHamm

I should note that now that you have 'on' selected in your BIOS, do not simply shutdown the computer with the power strip. Use the Start>Shutdown>Shutdown button to shut down your system. When it has finally shut everything down (usually with a thump), then power off with the power strip switch. To turn on, simply use the power strip switch. Been doing this for over two years with no ill effects, including the CMOS battery staying charged.

1 Message

March 1st, 2005 19:00

Hi

I don't have the solution to your problem, but I do have the same problem. You mentioned that it fixed itself; mine fixed itself a few times, but won't start at all now. It started by taking a while to come on after I had it unpluged from the power. Each time I unpluged it, it would take longer to power back up, and would come on by itself when it got ready:smileymad: The green power light on the motherboard is on, on mine too, but nothing else.

Charlie.
No Events found!