Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

January 26th, 2010 05:00

Dimension 5000 upgraded graphics cards that will work?

Hello, 

My Dad is a casual gamer but is really struggling to run many games now on his Dimension5000

I know there is a PCI express slot and the power output is 305Watt 

He got a ATI 5770 but noticed it could not be powered up as there is no area to connect power and the PSU is not

strong enough.

Is there a posting or a list of graphics/video cards that will be better than the billy basic one that he had as default.

Or any suggestions of people that know how to get a better card working with minimal upgrade. 

Getting PSU and connectors convertors increasing the case to fit this etc etc seems like a cost and hasstle

He is not running the latest FPS's he just want to play games a little more smoothly that don't jump.

Suggested solutions would be really welcomed

D

1.7K Posts

January 27th, 2010 09:00

The ATI HD 4670 will work on these system with only the 305W PSU.  It is more than enough for any casual gamer and half the cost of the HD 5770.  I would consider the 5770 to be a higher-end card as it will play any game out today at pretty good settings.  I have a Nvidia GTS 250 and it plays any game I want it to and it's performance falls below the 5770.  HERE is a list and they do not require any additional power connections and you will only need around 175 watts of power for your entire system with this card installed.   I would choose one of the first 3 on the list. 

January 29th, 2010 01:00

Hello Thanks for the suggestion, I have been told from another source to try the 4670. OK I am away to order this, and as you say they do not require any additional power connections.

If this works I will send you virtual flowers and chocolates.

I'll post up how I get on with this...  :emotion-1:

D

March 3rd, 2010 08:00

Hello, I did say I would post chocolates if the cards suggested worked.

But as I always fear in forums that unless people practice rather than preach. (I used to do desktop support so not a blind fool inside a machine) Then often wrong advice is given.

Not that people are meaning this far from it most people are trying to help and this is much appreciated

I tried a couple of the cards suggested, (unfortunately the CPU cooling tower gets in the road (even with some hack and slash)  I had to reseat the CPU etc.

then once overcoming that the card suggested was a double therefore the slots need to be hack and smashed to get it to fit into the dell case and I felt like a surgeon rather than an I.T. boffin.So there is problems getting the card to circulate air and you need to move other sockets etc.

So I'm trying a few other cards from the above supplied list, but be warned taking advice at first hand is foley.

I have the Dim5000 with 512m but I upgraded to 3gb (but you are probably talking about the G card.)

I am still gonna look at other cards and will update if I strike oil/

So the chocolates are still on the shelf, but one day they may get sent....

So please if you get a card that fits and works before me, please do

share the love

Dob

4 Posts

Hi JMichael, Please can you give any advice on the exact card for the Dell Dimension 5000.

I have the standard 305w Psu,  2.75GB Ram and using Windows XP, or Windows 7. I can use either.

There are different versions, such as 512mb and 1gb. Please help.

Thanks. Steve

4 Posts

Thanks Dob. Please keep me updated if you have any joy with this prob. Maybe I should just go out and buy a new pc. (prob not Dell this time)

I will keep you updated should I beat you to resolving this aggravating problem.

Steve

381 Posts

March 3rd, 2010 11:00

I have an e510 which has the same case and also has a BTX motherboard.  The BTX motherboard does not handle a dual slot card.  Now, I upgrade my e510 with a nice $60 520W power supply so that I could use whatever card I should choose.  But the trick on the E510 (and 5000) is that the heat sink fan on the GPU has to clear the fan/shroud.  I have found that the Gigabyte GTS250 with the Zalman cooler works great for fitting.  It benchmarks many times faster than a 4670.

David

March 3rd, 2010 15:00

David, thanks for the heads up.

I never wanted to upgrade PSU as this is my Dads pc so wanted to do it at minimal cost.

I have gigabiteS-SeriesEP45-DS3P with a Qcore overclocked, badboy ATI card with all the trimmings.

But for this dell I just want a card better than the original rubbish that fits, I am happy to clear the shroud to fit a card in.

Does the GTS250 not require additional power though hence back to the problem?

AD

4 Posts

March 3rd, 2010 16:00

Hi AD, I think you are right from the specs and reviews of the GT250. it says that it draws a minimum of 400w without additional fans & HD's & monitors etc.

Did the HD4670 that was recommended not fit/work then?

Maybe my Dell is ready for the scrapyard at 5 years old?! I Wouldnt buy a Dell again me thinks.

Thanks David for the input and Dob, I think me and your Dad are stuffed!

Steve

4 Posts

March 4th, 2010 15:00

Hi again, I just had a reply from AMD technical support regarding a suggested Graphics card for this machine. See below their answer.

As stated earlier the RADEON 2600 & RADEON 2400 are the safest video cards to use on your computer. These cards are available in 512mb as well. However, when you go into 1G video cards, system requirements changes and your system may not work with 1g cards. 512mb cards are fine.

Maybe you could try one of these Dob? I'm gonna look at the specs first before I rush on ebay and get one.

Steve

March 5th, 2010 06:00

Steve, let me know how you get on.

To answer your last post I did try the 4670 but this was by HIS (and did not fit) but as I think someone explained the gigabite card will physically fit in with the shroud off. So I will get round to trying the 4670 Gigabyte or Saphire manufacturer.

But if you come up trumps before me I'll defo take it onboard.

I think we should write a book on this once finished...    :emotion-4:

Dob

No Events found!