Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 15th, 2007 15:00

E521 Beep Code

Hi all, I have a e521,3800+ processor. It has 2 GB of Crucial memory installed, but today when I tried starting it up, I get 1 long beep with 2 short beeps which indicates memory problems. Ok, so I took the memory out of the e521 and put it in my e520 and the memory works without any problems. What can it be?? Thanks in advance and any help would be appreciated.

2.2K Posts

December 15th, 2007 16:00

The memory may have just needed to be re-seated. You put it back in the E521 and try again?

2.2K Posts

December 15th, 2007 17:00

Then you need to run the Dell Diagnostics here:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Have you tried just one memory stick to see what happens?
What are the diagnostic lights showing and compare here:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

26 Posts

I have tried to run diagnostics but monitor screen is black. The lights show up as 3 & 4 green constantly on. Also I have tried just one memory stick but same beep code. I'm thinking maybe motherboard's memory slots are bad, but I'm not sure.

Message Edited by oxford941 on 12-15-2007 02:26 PM

Message Edited by oxford941 on 12-15-2007 02:29 PM

26 Posts

I have re-seated memory 3 times but same beep code

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 15th, 2007 19:00

oxford941

Remove all the memory modules, then install only one module in slot 1, then see if the system boots, does not boot, move the module to slot 2 and again see if the system boots, no boot, try the module in slot 3, no boot, try installing in slot 4.

Still does not boot, then remove the first module and using the second one, repeat the sequence described above.

Still no boot, try installing the remaining modules, one at a time, using the above procedure.

Still does not boot, buy a new compatible memory module/s.

If then the computer still does not start, it would appear that the motherboard has failed and needs to be replaced.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

26 Posts

December 15th, 2007 20:00

Well, it's confirmed, motherboard has failed. Thanks so much for your help. I thought that was what it was going to be, just wanted to check with the forum first.
No Events found!