Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

July 1st, 2008 23:00

E521 won't boot from CD

I'm in the process of adding a second hard drive to my Dimension E521. Whenever I try to boot from CD-ROM I get this message.

CD-ROM Device Driver for IDE/ATAPI, Ver. 1.5 rev.016

**Error: No CD-ROM drive found, please check power or cable.

**Error: IDE CD-ROM device driver NOT installed.

Driver not found:  'generic'

A:\NWCDEX.EXE requires a Driver name to be specified.

Invalid drive specified

Command or filename not recognized 

A:\> 

This is puzzling since my system doesn't have an A: drive, nor does it have IDE. It's all SATA. I have two optical drives. Both work fine in Windows and are recognized by the BIOS but neither will boot.

The only thing I can think of is that the drives are numbered in an unconventional way. The manual recommends using SATA-0 and SATA-1 for hard drives, SATA-2 and SATA-3 for optical drives. Currently my system looks like this:

SATA-0  80GB HDD

SATA-1  CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive

[both exactly where they were when I received the computer from Dell]

SATA-2  DVD-RW drive (installed by me)

SATA-3  500GB HDD (just put in, will soon be the boot drive)

The 80GB drive will stay on as slave. Would it be worth my while to rearrange these to the 'correct' order?

2.7K Posts

July 2nd, 2008 12:00

The 80GB drive will stay on as slave. Would it be worth my while to rearrange these to the 'correct' order?

Hi 

Yes that is what i would do .

I think the computer is trying to boot the 500 gig drive and not the CD\DVD drives.

Good Luck 

6 Posts

July 2nd, 2008 19:00

Thanks for the reply! It seems that the problem was the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools CD-ROM I was trying to use. I put the XP installation disc in instead and it worked fine. Go figure! Thanks for your help.
No Events found!