Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 22nd, 2009 13:00

Formatting my hard drive after a new mother board installation

I have installed a new mother board on my dell 4700. The bios recognizes my hard drive as a 500 GB, which it is. When i go to install windos xp it formats the partition but then it gives me the message of:   Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged.  Make sure the drive is switch on (it is) and properly connected (it is) to your computer. if the disk is a SCSI disk, make sure your SCSI devises are properly terminated. Consult you computer manual or SCSI adaptor documentation for mor information.   I have tried to Add new RAID drivers by hitting F6 when xp starts to boot. I'm just at a loss now and I'm sure its just one thing I need but I don't know what it is. Could someone help please?

799 Posts

February 22nd, 2009 18:00

Hello Lipout, The MBR may have become corrupted on the hard drive.

You might go to the hard drive manufacturer's web site and download their hard drive software to prepare the hard drive for a new installation, just as if it were a new hard drive.

The BIOS may not be set for the boot devices properly.

The first boot device should be the onboard CD\DVD drive and the second boot device should be the onboard hard drive.

Since this is a new or different motherboard, these settings may not be set properly.

Just some thoughts.

No Events found!