Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2005 14:00

Graphic Card Update..?

Hello Forum,
         I have a Dell 8200 with win XP sp2.  The graphic card i have in this computer is a Geforce4 MX420. The driver version on the card is ver. 52.16. I would like to update it to ver. 61.77 and not the newest version which I think is ver.71.84. The reason is, is that I don't need all the fixes for the newer software and fixes for games etc. as I don't play them. I basicly use my computer for small graphic and photo manipulation. I have never updated this graphic card since i got the computer and I don't know very much about updating graphic cards.. I just want to know if it is OK to update the version to ver. 61.77 or do I have to update to the newest version. Thanks for any help you can give me..

532 Posts

April 16th, 2005 16:00

The first question that you have to ask yourself before you update the video driver is: "Do I have a problem with the video card display that I think a later set of drivers may fix?" or "Am I having display problems with the applications that I use most often?". These drivers are basically to improve game play in more advanced video cards that what you are presently using. In fact, they can cause you bunches of probs. with your present card. If you would still like to try out an updated driver to see what you may be missing, go into nVidia's driver archive and try a driver version a couple of steps higher than the current one that you are using, say a 53.04 or maybe a 56.64. Just don't get caught up in the hype and think the "latest 'n greatest" driver release will cure issues in a very basic video card.

133 Posts

April 16th, 2005 19:00

Thanks for your advice Slo Mo Shun, (I like your screen name)

I'm not having any problems really, it's just that I've be noticing that when I open a folder there is a few seconds before the icons and pictures appear, this never happened before the graphics would appear immediately, it's not a big deal maybe the computer is getting a little old. Maybe I just don't have the the settings adjusted properly in my display properties. Guess I should hunt around in there first before trying an update. You have me worried now i don't want more problems.. Again thanks very much.. If you have any suggestions on what settings I could adjust for this problem, please let me know.. Bye for now... Lee

532 Posts

April 16th, 2005 20:00

Ohhh...I wasn't trying to scare you away from doing a driver update, only trying to make you aware of the possible pitfalls. The latest nVidia drivers are written for GeForce 6 series cards. So when you try these updates, do it in "baby steps" so that you can go back easily. My suggestion would be to cover all the basics...like a good house cleaning. By that I mean to do a good defrag and eliminate (turn off) any unnecessary backround programs or processses...eliminate anything that wastes processor cycles. It wouldn't hurt to run the Windows System File Checker to eliminate any possibility of corrupt/damaged program files.
I have a little something for you to do if you'd still like to tweak your operating system; come over to Black Viper's website (www.blackviper.com) and configure the Windows Services for optimum performance.

p.s.-Black Viper's site is down right now for some new construction so you'll have to visit it at a later date. It's well worth the wait!

133 Posts

April 17th, 2005 18:00

Thank you for your help Slo Mo Shun,

I did as you suggested and did a cleanup this morning of my computer. Then a Chk Disk an SFC a Defrag and some other stuff. I will also Check Black Vipers website and see what else I can I can get rid off. My computer seems a little faster already and graphics aren't taking as long to load so that's a good start. I really appreciate your help so have a nice day..  Lee :smileyhappy:

3.9K Posts

April 20th, 2005 22:00

If you do upgrade your driver, just use the newest Nvidia drivers. There's no reason not to, and they do sometimes contain fixed for older video cards (older even than what you have).
No Events found!