Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

February 6th, 2008 17:00

HELP!!! Power Surge on Hub Port

I have an Insperion E1505 laptop and the Photo 944 Printer combo.  I keep getting an error message saying "Power Surge on the Hub Port" when I plug in the printer.  I have reset it several times, I have reinstalled my printer, I have unplugged the computer from the surge protector and plugged it directly into the electrical outlet and I still keep getting the same message.  What should I do?

Message Edited by ladyo715 on 02-06-2008 03:19 PM

9 Posts

What does all this mean? I'm not computer savvy. I usually keep my printer plugged in at all times. I only changed the connections because the error message suggested it.
Message Edited by ladyo715 on 02-06-2008 03:21 PM

14.4K Posts

why do you not leave the printer plugged in all the time?

It could be that the printer has a small trickle power requirement.

14.4K Posts

February 6th, 2008 20:00

is your hub high or low power. if it a low power port then it might give that message..

2K Posts

February 6th, 2008 21:00

Not sure this is going to be definable.  A USB port is not able to power a printer.  For that matter, there should be no power passing between the two, only data.

This could be another bug like the one 4700C had, where the 'USB power surge' balloon kept popping up in WXP-SP2, but only because SP2 changed the definition of a power surge and 4700C was designed and tested for SP1.

Similarly, certain USB printers and scanners at one time would stop booting because USB thought they were bootable devices and kept waiting for a response from them.

Another printer likely would not do that, but I'm sure you don't want to replace the printer just for that reason.  An interim solution might be a powered USB hub, even if you don't otherwise need one.

2K Posts

February 6th, 2008 22:00

Sorry, not everyone is 'up' on the distinctions between Windows 'SPs' or alternate Dell models.

In English, if you have had the same configuration (computer and printer) for over a year, you have not changed anything (software or hardware) and it now has a problem, one of the two products has changed.  From only this information, it is not possible to say conclusively which has changed or in what way.

First, replace the cable.  It is the cheapest part, and they do go bad.

9 Posts

February 6th, 2008 22:00

Is there a solution to this problem. (In English, please :-) ) I've plugged my camera in the port and it works fine. It's just the printer that is presenting a problem. I've had the printer for over a year and it's just now giving me a problem.

The only message I receive is the one that says "Power Surge on Hub Port". When I click the bubble it tells me to reset it. I reset it, plug in the cord and get the message again.
Message Edited by ladyo715 on 02-06-2008 06:17 PM

9 Posts

February 6th, 2008 23:00

Thanks!! I've ordered a new cable. Hopefully, that will solve the problem. I'll let you know how it turns out.

9 Posts

February 8th, 2008 18:00

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I received my new cable and everything is working fine.

Why couldn't the error message just say "You need a new cable."?

Again, thank you

2K Posts

February 8th, 2008 18:00

Glad it is solved, and was so simple and inexpensive.  Sorry I didn't think of the cable in the first place, but often we take wiring for granted and look for more complex problems somewhere else.

1 Message

May 27th, 2008 23:00

I'm having same problem.  Which cable needs to be replaced?

No Events found!