Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 8th, 2012 14:00

How do I connect 5.1 speakers to the Dell Inspiron 580 desktop?

I unplugged all the cables and took the PC outside to blast out the dust with compressed air. Agfter connecting back up all is OK except I have no sound. I have yellow , black and green (I think =- could be white - I'm colourblind) to somehow get back into the rear panel. Have tried lots of combos but nothing. MY systray sound icon shows sound BTW.

thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 9th, 2012 04:00

The manual shows what jack is for what.  They are color coded on the PC.  If your speaker cables are color coded different than the PC jacks, what is the make/model of the speakers you have?  Research on the speakers should give what color is what on the leads from the speakers.  Then you can match them up with the jack identification in the Dell manual.

Actually, not much to really research for most.  There should be a Green plug and that goes to the Green Speaker jack.  Then all you have is the other two and it's 50/50 on getting them connected to the other two jacks.  Connect one way and if that doesn't work, connect them the opposite and you should be back in business.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 8th, 2012 14:00

The Dell Setup Guide (PDF) details what jack is what for the speakers.

Click Me 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

April 8th, 2012 15:00

I had found that, but as it didnt mention any colours for cablkes and jacks, Im still left plugging them in randomly and not getting sound.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

April 8th, 2012 17:00

Also use the same link to check this--Dell Technology Guide (HTML) directions: Setting up the 5.1 Audio Connections

To set up the 5.1 audio connections:

Click Start ®Control Panel®Additional Options. Run IDT Audio Control Panel. In the Jacks tab, there are three connector icons. Follow the instructions to finish the setup.

Click the microphone icon, select Device: Rear Speakers, and plug your rear speaker cable to the audio in/microphone connector.

Click the middle headphone icon, select Device: Center/LFE Speaker, and plug your center/woofer speaker cable to the middle audio out/headphone connector.

Click the right headphone icon, select Device: Front Speaker, and plug your front speaker cable to the right audio out/headphone connector.

April 9th, 2012 01:00

I've fallen at the first hurdle as my control panel doesn't show anything called additional options.

April 9th, 2012 04:00

Finally got there by trial and error - thanks

No Events found!