Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Q

September 4th, 2006 18:00

How do i get rid of a flashing egg timer?

I have just recieved my computer back from dell where they replaced the hard drive due to failure.
Since having the computer back even when it is idle, the cusour keeps on flickering into the egg timer mode.
why is this and how can i get rid of it? 
Any help greatly appreciated.
many thanks

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 4th, 2006 19:00

Contact Dell again. Parts replacement is usually guaranteed for 90 days. No details provided for anyone here to help.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 4th, 2006 20:00

Before you hassle with another parts replacement, run msconfig. Click Startup tab in msconfig, and uncheck everything except items related to your firewall, antiviral software, mouse and video card. Exit msconfig and reboot. Put check in box "Don't show this again" that appears at first reboot.

Sounds like some bloatware Dell preinstalled on the new hard drive is running in the background. Many of those things are constantly trying to phone home for updates and the hourglass appears when they're busy in the background. None of them needs to run every time you boot, but they'll still be available when you want to run them.

And if that doesn't solve it, follow MaryG's suggestion before the 90-day warranty expires.

Ron

Message Edited by RoHe on 09-04-200603:06 PM

5 Posts

September 5th, 2006 18:00

Thanks Ron
All sorted.
Cheers

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 5th, 2006 19:00

You're buying..!