Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 24th, 2011 12:00

Inspiron 2305 tv tuner

I just got my Inspiron 2305 with tv tuner card included.  Now call me stupid, but I figure I should be able to just hook the cable to the computer and get channels after following the set-up.  Not so, the system cannot find any channels--has anyone had this problem?  Tech support tells me I need a  set-top (tuner box between the cable and the computer--this doesn't seem right.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 24th, 2011 12:00

For regular cable tv  with a box--don't forget to change the channel to 3 (or whatever you have your tv set on) to get the same cable you receive on your tv.  If you have plain cable tv, you need to select the right type of connection in Media Center, Tasks, Settings. Cable is Analog tv not digital--even though cable is broadcasting digital channels, it still goes out as analog for compatibility with non digital receivers. Also, I found it 's better to skip the Guide and scanning for channels. Do a manual setup if you don't use the computer to watch tv all the time. The Media Center will be running all the time trying to download the guide and it can be a nuisance. If you decide you want to use the computer as a tv and want the guide, you can always set it up later.

1 Message

April 20th, 2011 08:00

I've had this same configuration for about a week and a half now and mine continues to go out. Now it won't download the guide. Dell is trying to tell me that the tuner is more sensitive to disturbances in the cable than a regular tv. After several phones calls and time spent on chat, they said "for my peace of mind" they would replace the tuner. Although they are sending it and I have to install it! Great customer service and warranty! I bought this computer specifically to use as a tv and nothing but problems. I'm tempted to return it...over $1300 back in my pocket

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

April 20th, 2011 09:00

You should have bought a tv instead of a computer. Computers--or more accurately--cheap tv tuners in computers-- do not make very good tv's. Contact your cable  provider since the problem is most likely on their end. You should have a dedicated cable connection for the tuner. To download the guide, you need a cable box connected to the tuner. Skip the guide download and you might be OK. You can return a computer with approval from dell as long as it's within 21 days from the invoice date, but there might be a restocking fee if there is nothing wrong with it. Tuners are simple to install. Be sure to follow the safety rules in the manual.

No Events found!